US Students Bring Menstrual Pads for Cambodian Village Women

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

US Students Bring Menstrual Pads for Cambodian Village Women

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PUBLISHED: April 2, 2019 at 9:10 am | UPDATED: April 2, 2019 at 9:38 am
West Valley College effort on Cambodia feminine hygiene

Re: “Access to feminine hygiene poses major issue globally” (Letter to the editor, March 19):

At a time when global issues focus mainly on war, economics and political tensions, Franceli Zaragoza’s gets a big shout out for pointing to the life-limiting effects on women from lack of feminine hygiene care in the developing world.

While there are government and non-government agencies offering coming-of-age education and pads, I want to acknowledge a local group for its volunteering to introduce a UNESCO-supported program of instruction on feminine hygiene to the women and girls of a remote village in Cambodia.

Twenty students from West Valley College’s Society for Global Citizenship went to Cambodia in February as a service learning project to the Doris Dillon School in Cambodia. They solicited donations for getting a big supply of pads and instructional material in the local Khemai language. They want to do more but could use more donations. We should all be proud of these students.

Ken Colson
San Jose
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: US Students Bring Menstrual Pads for Cambodian Village Women

Post by RickyBobby »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm
PUBLISHED: April 2, 2019 at 9:10 am | UPDATED: April 2, 2019 at 9:38 am
West Valley College effort on Cambodia feminine hygiene

Re: “Access to feminine hygiene poses major issue globally” (Letter to the editor, March 19):

At a time when global issues focus mainly on war, economics and political tensions, Franceli Zaragoza’s gets a big shout out for pointing to the life-limiting effects on women from lack of feminine hygiene care in the developing world.

While there are government and non-government agencies offering coming-of-age education and pads, I want to acknowledge a local group for its volunteering to introduce a UNESCO-supported program of instruction on feminine hygiene to the women and girls of a remote village in Cambodia.

Twenty students from West Valley College’s Society for Global Citizenship went to Cambodia in February as a service learning project to the Doris Dillon School in Cambodia. They solicited donations for getting a big supply of pads and instructional material in the local Khemai language. They want to do more but could use more donations. We should all be proud of these students.

Ken Colson
San Jose
It's always about those poor girls ... An easy way to pull on the heart strings and open the wallets isn't it.

I don't know. It seems you can get every essential almost everywhere in Cambodia, not the least of which is sanitary napkins.

Anyhow, the vagina is an amazing self cleaning system, and aside from being messy, the menstruation is not a hygiene problem. The function of a pad is just to stop the blood from getting all over the linen or leaving an embarrassing stain on your white jeans.

In my moms day, she told me they used rags, and just washed them. So the rest was just an issue of comfort and efficiency.

I could be wrong, (its happened before) but to me this is just another naive misguided feminist endeavor.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

Imagine how many more they could have provided if it wasn't necessary for all 20 of the students to personally deliver the pads. Yes, we should be all so proud of them.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Apart from the fact RickyBobby had conversations about her mums periods, so weird. :nono:

I think it’s very rare a Cambodian (not just Khmer) female would not have access, and knowledge, to cheap pads, 2500 riel for 10 pads, which for most girls would last their whole cycle.

Another pointless charity. (Let’s hope the kids take something positive home)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Oh god I love it when men talk about women’s issues.

If men had periods they would have found a cure for it years ago.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:48 pm Apart from the fact RickyBobby had conversations about her mums periods, so weird. :nono:

I think it’s very rare a Cambodian (not just Khmer) female would not have access, and knowledge, to cheap pads, 2500 riel for 10 pads, which for most girls would last their whole cycle.

Another pointless charity. (Let’s hope the kids take something positive home)
MY MOM. Born in Germany 1935. Knew hunger and hardship, and the most saintly selfless woman I know.

But you're right. Its not expensive, and almost every girl uses pads not tampons. I am just saying that rags would work if in a pinch.

I once listened to a christian missionary pitch the washable re-usable pads as a fundraising initiative, FOR CAMBODIA. I later asked him if he had ever been; he had not. Pffft.

No one in the west really knows the need but wants that feel good "I helped a poor vulnerable girl" feeling.

I have read some reports about young girls menstrual cycles affecting their ability to attend school for lack of supplies. I think it was Africa based, and sounds sensible that somewhere perhaps, this does happen.

The reusable pads are a good initiative because they also are tied to enterprise whereby women in poor communities can be set up to make them and earn an income. That's a double bonus.

More often than not, these initiatives like mentioned in the OP exploit a lot. The tour is often a missionary thing that the individual participants are given tools to fund-raise their costs to go. The organizer makes money on the whole trip which is for them, (missionary) tourism.

These girls then are brainwashed with sad photos of poor brown people, and they go and see, and then come home and fund raise more.

No matter how good the cause, once people see it can make money, it will be overtaken by greedy people more often than not and exploited. There's no better way to dump out the purses than to pull on the heartstrings with those poor girls stories.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

A better model is to empower the smart young Khmer ladies to go and teach hygiene, and give them the tools and money to do it. Don't need some entitled brats from the west to do it.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I think Tampon use in Cambodia is about zero. Partly because there’s very little supply (Omo?) and it’s taboo for a young lady to stick things up her vag.
Ok maybe not taboo as such but it’s not something parents/grandparents talk about and compared to pads they are quite complicated to use.

I’ve had to explain all this to my wife when we first met as she asked why her periods were so heavy. I’ve also had the talk to one of my daughters back home because her mum is a, appropriately, a cunt.

Wow. Periods, tampons.
To quote Felgerkarb “WTF are we talking about!”
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm Oh god I love it when men talk about women’s issues.

If men had periods they would have found a cure for it years ago.
The oral contraceptive pill was invented by a man.
Scarier than malaria.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I know Khmer girls who use tampons.

Seriously, men should not get involved in secret women’s business.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic