New driving license procedure for foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
steelyRon
Expatriate

Re: New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by steelyRon »

davegorman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:49 pm
steelyRon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm
davegorman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm That’s always been the law.
You have to take the test and go through all the shit to get it but you have a 10 year one (unless you are over 65 then it’s yearly).
Yes, it is law that you need to take test to get license. But the question is: Do you need to attend a driving school, and Pass their test before taking the test at the Department of Public Works and transport in the far north outskirts of the city?
Yes. If your foreign licence has expired you must do both tests (practical and theory) at the ministry north of the city.

Unless you know someone, apparently.
The question is: Do I need to go to a private driving school and pass their tests before doing both tests (practical and theory) at the ministry north of the city?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

steelyRon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 am
You have to take the test and go through all the shit to get it but you have a 10 year one (unless you are over 65 then it’s yearly).
Yes, it is law that you need to take test to get license. But the question is: Do you need to attend a driving school, and Pass their test before taking the test at the Department of Public Works and transport in the far north outskirts of the city?
Yes. If your foreign licence has expired you must do both tests (practical and theory) at the ministry north of the city.

The question is: Do I need to go to a private driving school and pass their tests before doing both tests (practical and theory) at the ministry north of the city?
Oh yes sorry. No idea but I doubt they will expect you to anyway.
If you contact a driving school (which you have to be introduced by) they will sort it all out without you actually having to do lessons and a test with them (the school).
They will also take you round the course at lunchtime to show you what to do. (For a small fee).
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

No, you don't.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I bet you just copied and pasted that answer from the previous page Brody.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am I bet you just copied and pasted that answer from the previous page Brody.
Lol, I'm having deja vu.

But seriously, he doesn't. I was in his exact situation in October and did not go through a driving school.

I'm tryin' to lead this horse to water...
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Brody wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 am
davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am I bet you just copied and pasted that answer from the previous page Brody.
Lol, I'm having deja vu.

But seriously, he doesn't. I was in his exact situation in October and did not go through a driving school.

I'm tryin' to lead this horse to water...
Haha.
So you’ve got one of the fabled 10yr licences?
Only seen one.
steelyRon
Expatriate

Post by steelyRon »

davegorman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 am

Oh yes sorry. No idea but I doubt they will expect you to anyway.
If you contact a driving school (which you have to be introduced by) they will sort it all out without you actually having to do lessons and a test with them (the school).
They will also take you round the course at lunchtime to show you what to do. (For a small fee).

I just watched a video of the driving tests ( ), and every car in the video was from a Drivers School. Can anyone please verify that you can take the driving test using your own car?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic