borrowing money weird/hilarious stories

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

borrowing money weird/hilarious stories

Post by curiosity »

hi folks,

I have heard some pretty out-there stories to motivate me to lend money. What is the weirdest/most hilarious story that you ever heard in your time in Cambodia in this regard?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: borrowing money weird/hilarious stories

Post by fax »

Great thread why don't you go first
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I lent $10 to my future mother-in-law when I first got here, she paid it back the next day & also gave me half a ton of bananas as interest. Oh what times.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

The gf asked me for $300 when we first started dating. She said she needed to fix her car. She fixed her car and gave me $300 back.

I don't lend money to anyone unless he/ she can prove (bank statements, deposit slips, Western Union paperwork, work contract, whatever) he/ she will pay me back with interest in a timely manner (I usually take collateral such as newer phones/ tablets/ laptops). Don't matter if he/ she is an expat or a local.

It's weird how people never ask me for money.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Queef wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:58 am The gf asked me for $300 when we first started dating. She said she needed to fix her car. She fixed her car and gave me $300 back.

I don't lend money to anyone unless he/ she can prove (bank statements, deposit slips, Western Union paperwork, work contract, whatever) he/ she will pay me back with interest in a timely manner (I usually take collateral such as newer phones/ tablets/ laptops). Don't matter if he/ she is an expat or a local.

It's weird how people never ask me for money.
Yep, Khmer don't generally like dealing with educated people.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

I've lent money to bar girls no problems few bucks here and there, if they don't pay i just tell the other bar girls that person owes me $ it's all about face how quick they pay you back lol
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:11 pm Yep, Khmer don't generally like dealing with educated people.
Only the stupid foreigners.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

ok, so there was this one time where I was asked to wing someone (who was returning from a trip in India to Phnom Penh) $100 because his passport was so dirty that the local authorities apparently confiscated it. He told me that somehow the $100 would help him get his passport released. That can't be possible, can it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic