New driving license procedure for foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
steelyRon
Expatriate

Re: New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by steelyRon »

Has anyone encountered this issue when applying for Drivers License and drivers license in home country has expired ? ... need to pass an exam through a driving school before being able to apply for a Cambodian license.

https://www.movetocambodia.com/living-i ... g-license/

If you do not have a driver’s license in another country, you will need to pass an exam through a driving school before being able to apply for a Cambodian license.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

That’s always been the law.
You have to take the test and go through all the shit to get it but you have a 10 year one (unless you are over 65 then it’s yearly).
steelyRon
Expatriate

Post by steelyRon »

davegorman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm That’s always been the law.
You have to take the test and go through all the shit to get it but you have a 10 year one (unless you are over 65 then it’s yearly).
Yes, it is law that you need to take test to get license. But the question is: Do you need to attend a driving school, and Pass their test before taking the test at the Department of Public Works and transport in the far north outskirts of the city?
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Moose wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 am
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:15 pm
Moose wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:26 pm I just went to a driving school in PP, asking about renewing my 1-year License. They told me to go to Aeon Mall 2 and do it, that was clear.

When i asked if i needed a letter form my Sangkat (proof of residency) they said i did not, as my old licence was from 2017 (expiring in 2018) and therefore its not needed.

Can anyone else clarify this? i would rather know for sure before trekking all the way to Aeon Mall 2

thanks!
For normal renewals you don't need it. I went to Aeon 2 last year with a 6 week expired licence and didn't have to show residency. However, I don't know what happens if the licence has expired for a considerable period of time ie whether there's some sort of time limit (if any?).
Just a quick update.

Oh and he reconfirmed that all foreigners now, regardless of engine size, technically need a License
A 7- year old Khmer little shit can drive a moto with 2 or 3 of his or her buddies without a license, no problem. But a barang with a few decades of driving experience with western-sized motorcycles needs a license for a 50-cc moto.

Add this ditty to the book of wonders about Cambodia.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

steelyRon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm
davegorman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm That’s always been the law.
Yes, it is law that you need to take test to get license. But the question is: Do you need to attend a driving school, and Pass their test before taking the test at the Department of Public Works and transport in the far north outskirts of the city?
Yes. If your foreign licence has expired you must do both tests (practical and theory) at the ministry north of the city.

Unless you know someone, apparently.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

steelyRon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm But the question is: Do you need to attend a driving school, and Pass their test before taking the test at the Department of Public Works and transport in the far north outskirts of the city?
No you don't.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Tarndog wrote:A 7- year old Khmer little shit can drive a moto with 2 or 3 of his or her buddies without a license, no problem. But a barang with a few decades of driving experience with western-sized motorcycles needs a license for a 50-cc moto.

Add this ditty to the book of wonders about Cambodia.
The 7 year old driver is Khmer and we ain’t. It’s simple Cambodian logic. Just like the Khmer defensiveness of being looked down on by the barang when questioned or corrected. Or a million other things in Cambodia.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

I have an expired western license. I need to sit a the test for a motorcycle license (for insurance and renting motorbike in Thailand), so I went to Lucky for info, they said "Can't help you. Go to any driving school". I got to the driving school they said "Can't help you. Go to Aeon 1." I got to the Aeon 1, "They said "Can't help you. Go to Aeon 2." I'm getting warmer right?

Before I go to Aeon 2, can anyone tell me the cost and procedure of getting a driver's license? Do they give you a road code book and mock exam? Is it on paper or computer? Is it in English?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You still won't be insured when you have a Cambodian licence unless its recognise in your home country which it probably isn't so you need a valid licence in your home country also
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Paulo wrote:I have an expired western license. I need to sit a the test for a motorcycle license (for insurance and renting motorbike in Thailand), so I went to Lucky for info, they said "Can't help you. Go to any driving school". I got to the driving school they said "Can't help you. Go to Aeon 1." I got to the Aeon 1, "They said "Can't help you. Go to Aeon 2." I'm getting warmer right?

Before I go to Aeon 2, can anyone tell me the cost and procedure of getting a driver's license? Do they give you a road code book and mock exam? Is it on paper or computer? Is it in English?
Afaik there is no testing at aeon 2. You'll need to go to the department of transport.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vQP9J

I believe you'll also need to take your own >125cc bike.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic