Parental rights

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Parental rights

Post by Tarndog »

If a (male) barang had a child with a Cambodian woman, and the mother of the child isn't actively involved in the childrearing, who is next in line to care for the baby? The father? The mother's family in the province? Does the father have any rights in how or where the child is raised? What about visitation rights,
also ?

I think I know the answer, bur wanted more expertise and experience as a backup.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Parental rights

Post by fax »

What does the father want? Is his name on the BC? Where is the child? Whose last name does the child have?
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

fax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:43 am What does the father want? Is his name on the BC? Where is the child? Whose last name does the child have?
Don't know the answer to any of those... well wait, all I know is the child is in the province.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:43 am What does the father want? Is his name on the BC? Where is the child? Whose last name does the child have?
Not sure about Cambodia BUT for Thailand, ( dont jump on me, just stating what it is here might be the same)

Father has no rights UNLESS, he is married and his name is on the BC
OR
he gets a court order ( what i did) granting sole or shared custody.

Even if their married and the child has his name, he needs a court order to have sole custody, otherwise at anytime the mother can claim her rights.

IF the father is not involved, it goes to her parents to raise the child
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Boy or girl? First born?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The key is to find out what the father wants. If you dont know, it is just a hypothetical question.

When you know what the father wants, you can ask, what is sensible, and what is realistic?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 am The key is to find out what the father wants. If you dont know, it is just a hypothetical question.

When you know what the father wants, you can ask, what is sensible, and what is realistic?
But the father wants to take care of the baby, either with or without the mother, but the mother refuses to allow it, or let him see the baby, or even see the birth certificate. But the father and mother both freely admit the baby is his.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Depends on whether the Father has recognised the child as his and is included on the official Cambodian Birth certificate. Have a read through Chapter IV of the Prakas on marriage & family for more information. https://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/ELE ... M86095.pdf
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

fax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 am Same case?

general-chatter/man-looking-for-his-kid ... 27-30.html
Nope
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic