Khmers are getting more savvy to Public Transport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmers are getting more savvy to Public Transport

Post by PIEMAN »

:beer3: In the 6 months i have lived on Monivong past the Rock i have used Public Transport almost daily,at the beggining the Bus was almost empty 4-8 persons was the norm,these Days it is standing room only.For the sum off 1,500 R you can travel 1 stop or the whole 9km off the route.I travel to Central Market at a busy time granted 8am but my return is usually between 11-12 noon and the return journey the Bus is always 80% full.Anyone else travel regular on the Bus and noticed a increase in the numbers off passengers :bow: .
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Khmers are getting more savvy to Public Transport

Post by King Keil »

Today coming up Norodom from Takhmao I found it quite astonishing and funny that all people were standing in that horrible traffic with there dirty bikes and cars while the bus that was in sight was almost empty.
They have a long way to go.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

King Keil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:10 pm Today coming up Norodom from Takhmao I found it quite astonishing and funny that all people were standing in that horrible traffic with there dirty bikes and cars while the bus that was in sight was almost empty.
They have a long way to go.
Even better to avoid the traffic altogether and catch the ferry. Only 50c so almost as cheap as the bus.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I can't wait to see the introduction of bus lanes. You read it here first.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Route 12 buses are always empty when I see them.
Scarier than malaria.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:17 pm I can't wait to see the introduction of bus lanes. You read it here first.
First you have to educate Khmer on the meaning of "lane" and "lane discipline".
They are still taught to drive in the middle of the road where possible because when they first came up with traffic rules theyre were left and right hand vehickes and they could not decide which side of the road to drive on.
I call khmer scalextrix drivers. 2 wheels each side of the lane marker!
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Good news !
For now the only advantages of taking the bus are cheap, AC, avoid pollution and most of all > safety !
Can't wait for the skytrain to be done to avoid traffic.

By the way there is an app for bus , "StopsNearMe"
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

ali baba wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:59 pm Route 12 buses are always empty when I see them.
:beer3: Goes along street 360,i see them quite often and they are empty,if the other bus routes have as many buses as the no1 route monivong,im not suprised they are empty,i suppose it will take time to see which routes are busy and which are slow.What i am suprised at none go down the main part of the Riverside,past the palace etc. :assasin:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic