Schengen Visa for Khmer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Schengen Visa for Khmer

Post by Cam Nivag »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 pm
Not applying in Cambodia may actually work in her favor as it sets them apart from local applicants.

I don't see it working in her favor. The fact that she doesn't live in Cambodia shows she has weak ties to Cambodia. And the fact she's Cambodian will make it hard for her to prove she has strong ties to Nepal.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

For what its worth to you.

Several years ago, I had a friend that got their Schengen Visa by purchasing a tour package. I don't know if there are tours available, but the one that was purchased was just slightly more than the airfare would have been (plus they processed all the visa applications). Keep in mind that this was done in the person's home country and your saying you live together in a 3rd country.

My own opinion on all these type of visa matters regardless of country is to be upfront and tell the truth. The people working in embassies hear all kinds of stories and usually they have a pretty good feel for whether or not someone is being honest. If they feel your not honest its a straight "no". I would include a letter of support from yourself. And I'd include a summary of any travel history you have together plus a letter of employment assuming you both work. If your both college educated I'd find a way to include that fact.

Good Luck.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Update: Spanish Embassy does not process visas where we live.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:47 am
pczz wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:27 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm OK, so thanks for the information, it sounds like most of you are saying that if we get a visa it will most likely be for the length we request on the itinerary, exactly, or plus a few days.

So it sounds like, if we want to do some traveling around Europe, it makes more sense to embellish the itinerary so we get a longer time period.

Anyone have any comments on the legendary - "flight pre-booking"? I.e. do you really need to buy a ticket and if not, then what do you show them?

Also, same for the proof of health insurance for the duration....
travel agent on 154 between st 19 an 15 does them fpr $15. be aware these are resevations only valid for a s[ecified period, normally 48 hours so get them done day before your appointment. make sure you have medical insurance for her. AXA online is ok but you need to print it and if youhave issues you can change the date onlin without paying again.
It is a lottery at the french embassy. 1 of the women is an arse. Make sure gf knows what document is what. Itinerary needs hotel bookings unless staying with relatives so do the booking.com free cancellation and take them in. GF need income and money in the bank . For france about $50 a day for tourism with accomodation pre-booked. She will also need permission from her employer to take 3 months off , or whatever time it is and a proper job contract helps. its gettign tougher every year :-(

Thanks for the intel on the Embassy in Phnom Penh, actually we are applying in a third country since we both moved away from Cambodia. I'm not sure where we can get a booking/reservation where we are living but I'll try to find something.

She has money and I do as well to demonstrate that we can cover our costs, plus we will be staying with someone for part of the time.

I also read somewhere, I can't remember where, that the Spanish Embassy is easier. Have you heard that or is that true?
the success rate for each embassy in each country depends on the staff. they will not be impressed by $10,000 appearing in her babk, they lije to see regular income.
you say she is your partner. if u can prove co-habitation for 2 years and or a child then that is a durable relationship and visa is free and sposed to be within 3 days BUT not all countries accept durable relationships. if you take proof with you it will help your case
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will write back and let you know what happens. Suffice ti to say we will try to put together a good application and all of your advice has been helpful.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello everyone,

I have good news to report that we were successful in getting the Schengen visa. I would just like to follow up with a few questions in case you know the answer.

The Embassy required us to provide an itinerary, and then they required us to make hotel bookings for the locations in our itinerary, even though we also provided proof of income. For the final step, they also made us book a plane ticket.

So I wonder whether, do we actually need to follow the itinerary that we proposed, now that we have the visa? Or can we cancel the bookings and make other arrangements? We would like to have more flexibility and now that we have more time, plan our trip more carefully.

Second, even though we booked a flight from date A to date B, they actually provided us with a much longer entry. I assume we can just cancel that flight booking and make a new flight booking that accommodates the actual visa time, etc.? I.e. there is no requirement now for us to stick with the original flight booking since the length of the visa is longer than the time contained in the ticket?

Look forward to your knowledge and experience.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I'd actually suggest you simply call the embassy and ask.

Just say something like "I have a schengen visa and something has come up at work and I'll have to change my flight plans and arrive within the date provided on the visa - I just want to confirm that its ok".

I have no idea what information is inputed into and visable to immigration. But common sense would say that as long as your within the dates provided its ok (but again, call - common sense doesn't always apply when dealing with government bureaucrats).

Glad it worked out and you got the visa. Enjoy your trip.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hmmm, OK, possibly. Given that they wanted us to give them an itinerary, and also bookings and a flight, I'm more inclined to try to get info from a third party. They may treat it as if we went back on our word. But I appreciate your input!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

At least in the USA, the border officers can absolutely pull up info about your visa application. If you tell them you plan to fly to Chicago for two weeks and then you get the visa and you land in Miami and tell them you're staying for three months, then they can give you a hard time or even deny you entry.

I'd recommend changing plans as little as possible until you arrive. Also, I think there's a possibility that, at least in the USA, the border officer may stamp you in for a shorter period of time than your visa allows.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

I have to disagree with Cam on this. Once you have the Schengen visa, you should be free to modify your itinerary at will, the only provision being that you stick to the designated entry point (country).

Regardingvthe lenghtvof stay, even if you provided an itinerary for 2 weeks and they gave you a visa for 3 month, they won't care about your return date as long as you don't exceed the visa duration. I remember something about the cumulative number of days limited to 180 per year (per 365 day period) regardless of the number of trips, but I guess it doesn't play a big part in your plans. Obviously contacting the embassy about that would not be a good idea as they have a duty to stick to what info you provided, you don't want them to explicitly state that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic