What affect are the power cuts having on businesses?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: What affect are the power cuts having on businesses?

Post by fax »

Felgerkarb wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:45 am City Mall just goes dark during the outages....Morticia was in there and it was chaos...asked the workers...yup, every day. /facepalm
Is everybody surprised when they turn it back on?
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

fax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:52 am
Felgerkarb wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:45 am City Mall just goes dark during the outages....Morticia was in there and it was chaos...asked the workers...yup, every day. /facepalm
Is everybody surprised when they turn it back on?
I don't know, but I certainly am...
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Well, that does it then. Back a couple of months ago, I began prepping for a return to living in Phnom Penh, which I have a soft spot for. Just spent a week there in early March and was happy about it. Think I'll put those plans on hold and watch developments from here in Vietnam. There is the odd district power outage, as planned and announced. But never any water shortages, that I'm aware of.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Bottled water production in jeopardy.
Factories cutting their workers hours.
Small businesses suffering.

The potential for civil unrest is definitely increasing.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:52 am Bottled water production in jeopardy.

And all before Khmer New Year.

Will the cuts persist throughout the holiday period?

If I were a savvy politician I would grant a respite during the holiday and then recommence the cuts afterward.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Brody wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:09 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:52 am Bottled water production in jeopardy.

And all before Khmer New Year.

Will the cuts persist throughout the holiday period?

If I were a savvy politician I would grant a respite during the holiday and then recommence the cuts afterward.
Will be interesting to see what happens during that week as most things are closed.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Normally at this time of the year, my wife is eyeing our 4 varieties of mango and thinking about the money she will make selling them during Choul Chhnam at the market. This year, due to unabated heat and gusty winds, the immature green fruit litters the ground under the trees. The banana trees fare no better. They are either uprooted or practically so, resembling elderly hunchbacked farmers as they struggle under the weight of their puny stalks.

On the retail front the price of a 12 pack of drinking water has increased 500 riels from 2,500 to 3,000 riels. The demand outstrips the supply and the distributor's supply will not last forever. Our well is very low and the rain, two times only, were essentially ,"weed rains." Things are getting tougher will little relief in sight.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Modern Khmers dont really protest. They don't really have the guts and put up with so much shit on a daily basis that it's quite amazing thay they manage to keep their cool.

I think this is a testament to the poor management this country has had. You've got CPP fanboys here who like to talk about how much things have improved, which they have, but this always fails to take I to account how much BETTER things could have been/be had there been even a fraction less nepotism, corruption and mismanagement. This could and should have been predicted (and addressed) literally years ago. The GDP of pretty much every country on Earth had gone up in the past 20 years, so that old line by the broken record is sounding lamer and lamer. Still, I say no protests or anything of the like. No way there'll be civil unrest.

As for effects, quite big. Welding shops can't weld (which I depend on), creating backlogs, higher costs for businesses and so on. One thing I wonder is of businesses can use the cost of running a genny as a tax write-off. They should be allowed to, but wondering if that's possible here. It's funny as up until this year, power cuts were at an all-time low. Fewer and fewer in the time I've been here, and now this sudden increase is a bit regression in the eyes of all. Water pressure/lack of water is also a big step back.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:57 pm Modern Khmers dont really protest. They don't really have the guts and put up with so much shit on a daily basis that it's quite amazing thay they manage to keep their cool.
This. Khmer are some of the most indifferent people I know when it comes to putting up with shit.

All you here are acting like this is going to be the start of the revolution, but it's just something people are going to grumble and do nothing about like so many other things that would drive any other westerner to a murderous rage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic