Will Brexit hurt you in ways you havent thought of

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Will Brexit hurt you in ways you havent thought of

Post by Sidewalker »

The British Parliament is just like a stupid drunk who is always trying to open the wrong door to the outside.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jcml19 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 pm
cautious colin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:48 pm Looks as though we are heading for a general election and probably another vote. Which, as all the leave voters are 3 years older (or dead) and there is another 3 years worth of remain voters now old enough it can surely only go one way.

Either that or a customs union.

No wonder all the brexiteers are so afraid of a second vote
No point for another vote.. itll be a repeat cycle of voting if they head this route.

They made their bed, time to tighten the belt and live with it haha
I don't think that is true, and even if it was there would be no harm in it as they would have an even stronger mandate to go forward with a hard brexit/no deal

And to back up the previous point, age demographics from the 2016 ref (remain left, leave right):
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

Behind the Brexit mess waits the US President eager to make Deals with post Brexit UK

Trump eager for trade deal with post-Brexit Britain - Bolton to Reuters TV:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1RA2EE

He did not elaborate WHAT KIND OF DEALS this would be ! Perhaps becoming the next US State ON THE AMERICAN FLAG ?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Sidewalker wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:04 am The British Parliament is just like a stupid drunk who is always trying to open the wrong door to the outside.
I seldom agree with your posts or opinions but on this we are in agreement. I think you are describing them a little too leniently.

Mp's seem to have a death wish. They are completely ignoring the voters, they are completely ignoring the EU and seem to think that we can pontificate on this subject for the next century or so.

Maybe we have far too many MP's in the HoC and also far too many Lords.

Rather than cut down the numbers perhaps like badgers, we can have a cull.

cautious colin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:53 am I don't think that is true, and even if it was there would be no harm in it as they would have an even stronger mandate to go forward with a hard brexit/no deal
I did laugh at the TV this morning. They were interviewing a 20's something who was complaining bitterly that she had been lied to in the run up to the referendum. When asked, she said she had voted to leave and when asked if she knew all of the facts then what would she have done, she said "I would have voted leave"..

I cannot see the difference.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

TOG wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:26 pm
cautious colin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:53 am I don't think that is true, and even if it was there would be no harm in it as they would have an even stronger mandate to go forward with a hard brexit/no deal
I did laugh at the TV this morning. They were interviewing a 20's something who was complaining bitterly that she had been lied to in the run up to the referendum. When asked, she said she had voted to leave and when asked if she knew all of the facts then what would she have done, she said "I would have voted leave"..

I cannot see the difference.
Then a 2nd vote would seal the deal at stop everyone complaining. Seems sensible to me.

Let’s be honest, nothing is ever gonna get a majority in parliament with the way it’s going & house demographic.

I can’t see anyway a majority of people would still vote leave now knowing the facts, but if they do at least it’s final (as long as the ballot has an option that is actually achievable)
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

cautious colin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:06 pm Then a 2nd vote would seal the deal at stop everyone complaining. Seems sensible to me.
The problem with that is that if it was a reversal then the leave campaign would demand another referendum...best of three? The first one was quiet clear...Stay or leave (no deals..WTO rules). Not hard or soft boiled Brexit, a simple stay or leave. Anyone who did not understand that had no right to be voting.

What is needed in any referendum is a majority of over 60%. That way, the margin for error is eliminated and no one can complain about the winning side.

Personally, I am getting quiet used to this slow death by a thousand votes. Any damage has now been done and the only way is up regardless of the outcome.

Those freeloading pigs in the HoC should be hung drawn and quartered. Start with Bercow, the arrogant little self opinionated hypocritical twit who thinks he is the lord and master of all he surveys and seems happy for this to go on forever.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

TOG wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:48 pm
cautious colin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:06 pm Then a 2nd vote would seal the deal at stop everyone complaining. Seems sensible to me.

What is needed in any referendum is a majority of over 60%. That way, the margin for error is eliminated and no one can complain about the winning side.

I do pretty much agree with this. I would say a two thirds majority for constitutional change

On the best of three, I don’t think that is necessary. The most recent vote supersedes the previous and people have more info to go on this time.
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

On the front page this story is right next to "White guy swimming in Boeng Trabek sewage canal."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

TOG wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:48 pm
The problem with that is that if it was a reversal then the leave campaign would demand another referendum...best of three? The first one was quiet clear...Stay or leave (no deals..WTO rules). Not hard or soft boiled Brexit, a simple stay or leave. Anyone who did not understand that had no right to be voting.

Personally, I am getting quiet used to this slow death by a thousand votes. Any damage has now been done and the only way is up regardless of the outcome.

Those freeloading pigs in the HoC should be hung drawn and quartered. Start with Bercow, the arrogant little self opinionated hypocritical twit who thinks he is the lord and master of all he surveys and seems happy for this to go on forever.
The Commons backs a softer Brexit -
If the Commons was to back a permanent customs union in its indicative votes next week, the EU could “within days” revise the political declaration, the non-binding outline of the future relationship, to set the two negotiating teams on that course. The wording will not be detailed. The negotiations over the terms of a customs union will be hard-fought when they come. Labour has said it would want the British government to have a say in EU trade policy in such a situation. This is likely to have a pretty messy collision with reality – but that is for a later date once the UK is out. In such a scenario, it is still feasible that the withdrawal agreement and political declaration are ratified by parliament within weeks, and the UK leaves the EU by the 22 May.

The Commons backs a second referendum or the prime minister calls a general election -
Both of these scenarios would require a lengthy extension beyond elections for the European parliament. At the summit on 10 April, leaders would decide on the length. Any extension to article 50 in this scenario would be no shorter than nine months, taking Britain’s membership of the EU up to 31 December 2019. A full year is far more likely and anything up to 21 months is possible, keeping the UK in the bloc until 2021.

Ether way, what will be the outcome of Briton being out, and Scotland gets its will, taking it's bank and the off-shore oil fields that was my basic living for 30 years.
How will we cope living without rules and regulations made up by countries who impose them, but don't themselves follow. How long before, after the market crumbles. How long for family members to find hardship living and working in European country's. How long also without good benefits will people be leaving the UK.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

TOG wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:26 pm Mp's . . .
Rather than cut down the numbers perhaps like badgers, we can have a cull.
What's the perfect number of representatives, on a scale from one to one per pleb, ie self-representation?

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic