Man Allegedly Hits Staff Over $2.50 at Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Man Allegedly Hits Staff Over $2.50 at Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

Post by LIVIDZX »

I'm always baffled by the amount of coverage some of these incidents get, she should have called the police... the police taken them both to the station to deal with it and that be the end of it (yeah... optimistic) - why on earth is there a 30 min news report on it, getting the view point of everyone within 100 yards of the incident? The video plays more like a reality tv show. I get why expat incidents are posted up here, everyone likes a bit of gossip but otherwise why would such a nothing incident which wouldn't even be worthy of mention anywhere else in the world virtually be headline news in Cambodia - do they just hate Expats that much?

Slightly off topic but

I had an incident around 51 st about 7-8 years ago, I was in or around one of the bars and talking to people, generally tipsy and having a good time and jokingly told one girl that maybe one day I'll her take back with me in a jokey tone. Anyway a couple of hours later I left to go to go my hotel and this same girl follows me and says she's coming with me and I told her no thanks I'm going to sleep & not interested... she insisted and I told her no thank you and told her to leave me alone, at that point she turned absolutely hysterical, screaming, shouting, flailing arms demanding I give her $20 as I'd wasted her time. I mean at an absolute stretch you could argue I should watch my words more carefully and it may have been lost in translation but to suggest that even if you did agree to go home with a freelancer then changed your mind before you even left the bar that'd you'd have to pay the girl is absolutely absurd. Anyway the incident was escalating, I certainly didn't want to pay for err... nothing. So was pushing her away and she continued her tirade, and dragging me back towards the bar. At this point the dreaded crowd began to gather all starting at me like I'd murdered someone and was deeply in the wrong, and I knew it wouldn't be long before the phones came out and my face and name would be all over the news the next morning with some humiliating spin like I refused to pay a hooker be put on the story. So what exactly can you do in that situation? In the end I just gave her $20 to get her away from me before it escalated into a 30 minute news report. But I felt like a complete chump obviously. But I'd like to know what exact actions you guys would take in such an event as I didn't nor still don't have a clue.
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Man Allegedly Hits Staff Over $2.50 at Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (VIDEO)

Post by Pisshead »

LIVIDZX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm I'm always baffled by the amount of coverage some of these incidents get, she should have called the police... the police taken them both to the station to deal with it and that be the end of it (yeah... optimistic) - why on earth is there a 30 min news report on it, getting the view point of everyone within 100 yards of the incident? The video plays more like a reality tv show. I get why expat incidents are posted up here, everyone likes a bit of gossip but otherwise why would such a nothing incident which wouldn't even be worthy of mention anywhere else in the world virtually be headline news in Cambodia - do they just hate Expats that much?

Slightly off topic but

I had an incident around 51 st about 7-8 years ago, I was in or around one of the bars and talking to people, generally tipsy and having a good time and jokingly told one girl that maybe one day I'll her take back with me in a jokey tone. Anyway a couple of hours later I left to go to go my hotel and this same girl follows me and says she's coming with me and I told her no thanks I'm going to sleep & not interested... she insisted and I told her no thank you and told her to leave me alone, at that point she turned absolutely hysterical, screaming, shouting, flailing arms demanding I give her $20 as I'd wasted her time. I mean at an absolute stretch you could argue I should watch my words more carefully and it may have been lost in translation but to suggest that even if you did agree to go home with a freelancer then changed your mind before you even left the bar that'd you'd have to pay the girl is absolutely absurd. Anyway the incident was escalating, I certainly didn't want to pay for err... nothing. So was pushing her away and she continued her tirade, and dragging me back towards the bar. At this point the dreaded crowd began to gather all starting at me like I'd murdered someone and was deeply in the wrong, and I knew it wouldn't be long before the phones came out and my face and name would be all over the news the next morning with some humiliating spin like I refused to pay a hooker be put on the story. So what exactly can you do in that situation? In the end I just gave her $20 to get her away from me before it escalated into a 30 minute news report. But I felt like a complete chump obviously. But I'd like to know what exact actions you guys would take in such an event as I didn't nor still don't have a clue.

A second wallet with only 5$ or 10$ helps in these situations, Just act dumb, Dont speak any khmer just show then what you got and offer it to em.

This works for traffic fines i dunno bout hookers.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

LIVIDZX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm she insisted and I told her no thank you and told her to leave me alone, at that point she turned absolutely hysterical, screaming, shouting, flailing arms demanding I give her $20 as I'd wasted her time. ..............................So what exactly can you do in that situation? In the end I just gave her $20 to get her away from me before it escalated into a 30 minute news report.
So her strategy worked! Persistence pays off!

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Pisshead wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:18 pm
LIVIDZX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm I'm always baffled by the amount of coverage some of these incidents get, she should have called the police... the police taken them both to the station to deal with it and that be the end of it (yeah... optimistic) - why on earth is there a 30 min news report on it, getting the view point of everyone within 100 yards of the incident? The video plays more like a reality tv show. I get why expat incidents are posted up here, everyone likes a bit of gossip but otherwise why would such a nothing incident which wouldn't even be worthy of mention anywhere else in the world virtually be headline news in Cambodia - do they just hate Expats that much?

Slightly off topic but

A second wallet with only 5$ or 10$ helps in these situations, Just act dumb, Dont speak any khmer just show then what you got and offer it to em.

Umm yes, love your story, it's great, but in this case the guy went to a night bar - he bought the lady a drink and then couldn't pay for it. These things happen, but no need to be offended if the lady in question wants to go to the ATM with you. And definitely no need to get violent because she doesn't trust you.
That's how I see it anyway. Why should anyone trust an unknown guy in a bar who says I'll be back with the dosh in 5 minutes ?
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:50 pm
Pisshead wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:18 pm

Slightly off topic but

Umm yes, love your story, it's great, but in this case the guy went to a night bar - he bought the lady a drink and then couldn't pay for it. These things happen, but no need to be offended if the lady in question wants to go to the ATM with you. And definitely no need to get violent because she doesn't trust you.
That's how I see it anyway. Why should anyone trust an unknown guy in a bar who says I'll be back with the dosh in 5 minutes ?
Ive seen similar situations in Pattaya.

One guy was buying drinks for a bargirl all night and when the bill came the staff took the barfine out without asking him assuming he was gonna go with her.

He went all nuts and started yelling at all the other farangs in the bar for no reason , Sketchy situation that was.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Anchor Moy wrote:no need to be offended if the lady in question wants to go to the ATM with you
Of course, if you're some random
Annoying if you're a regular
Especially if they try to send their thieving ladyboy

monstra mihi bona!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

he looks like an aged crocodile dundee
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

LIVIDZX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm I had an incident around 51 st about 7-8 years ago, I was in or around one of the bars and talking to people, generally tipsy and having a good time and jokingly told one girl that maybe one day I'll her take back with me in a jokey tone. Anyway a couple of hours later I left to go to go my hotel and this same girl follows me and says she's coming with me and I told her no thanks I'm going to sleep & not interested... she insisted and I told her no thank you and told her to leave me alone, at that point she turned absolutely hysterical, screaming, shouting, flailing arms demanding I give her $20 as I'd wasted her time. I mean at an absolute stretch you could argue I should watch my words more carefully and it may have been lost in translation but to suggest that even if you did agree to go home with a freelancer then changed your mind before you even left the bar that'd you'd have to pay the girl is absolutely absurd. Anyway the incident was escalating, I certainly didn't want to pay for err... nothing. So was pushing her away and she continued her tirade, and dragging me back towards the bar. At this point the dreaded crowd began to gather all starting at me like I'd murdered someone and was deeply in the wrong, and I knew it wouldn't be long before the phones came out and my face and name would be all over the news the next morning with some humiliating spin like I refused to pay a hooker be put on the story. So what exactly can you do in that situation? In the end I just gave her $20 to get her away from me before it escalated into a 30 minute news report. But I felt like a complete chump obviously. But I'd like to know what exact actions you guys would take in such an event as I didn't nor still don't have a clue.
Cambodians can play manipulative games. Or should I say there are a lot of scams in Cambodia. A lot of foreigners fall for them. Why did she do it. Because it works. It is very likely you werent the first. She can put on a big act and get some money.

I would encourage people to stand up to people being unreasonable. Dont be bullied. It continues because too many foreigners fall for it.

How did she drag you back towards the bar? Are you really small? I would have kept walking.

If she wanted to scream and create a scene, I would be yelling out: "gom chgoot," which means "dont be crazy."

Yes. There have been a number of occasions where I have let people know.

To all you foreigners reading this, stand up for yourselves. They know it is a manipulative game. They think you are stupid because you fell for it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Looks like she tried for a 400 or 500$ payday like the girl got at Mr. Butterfly Bar 136 Street... Another German too...Thought she had it in the bag! The crout went to Bunny for some funny and was lucky to not get beaten up and be out of pocket a few hundred. Cannot understand why so many customers who visit bars either have 100$ bils or have to go to The ATM .
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 am
LIVIDZX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 pm I had an incident around 51 st about 7-8 years ago, I was in or around one of the bars and talking to people, generally tipsy and having a good time and jokingly told one girl that maybe one day I'll her take back with me in a jokey tone. Anyway a couple of hours later I left to go to go my hotel and this same girl follows me and says she's coming with me and I told her no thanks I'm going to sleep & not interested... she insisted and I told her no thank you and told her to leave me alone, at that point she turned absolutely hysterical, screaming, shouting, flailing arms demanding I give her $20 as I'd wasted her time. I mean at an absolute stretch you could argue I should watch my words more carefully and it may have been lost in translation but to suggest that even if you did agree to go home with a freelancer then changed your mind before you even left the bar that'd you'd have to pay the girl is absolutely absurd. Anyway the incident was escalating, I certainly didn't want to pay for err... nothing. So was pushing her away and she continued her tirade, and dragging me back towards the bar. At this point the dreaded crowd began to gather all starting at me like I'd murdered someone and was deeply in the wrong, and I knew it wouldn't be long before the phones came out and my face and name would be all over the news the next morning with some humiliating spin like I refused to pay a hooker be put on the story. So what exactly can you do in that situation? In the end I just gave her $20 to get her away from me before it escalated into a 30 minute news report. But I felt like a complete chump obviously. But I'd like to know what exact actions you guys would take in such an event as I didn't nor still don't have a clue.
Cambodians can play manipulative games. Or should I say there are a lot of scams in Cambodia. A lot of foreigners fall for them. Why did she do it. Because it works. It is very likely you werent the first. She can put on a big act and get some money.

I would encourage people to stand up to people being unreasonable. Dont be bullied. It continues because too many foreigners fall for it.

How did she drag you back towards the bar? Are you really small? I would have kept walking.

If she wanted to scream and create a scene, I would be yelling out: "gom chgoot," which means "dont be crazy."

Yes. There have been a number of occasions where I have let people know.

To all you foreigners reading this, stand up for yourselves. They know it is a manipulative game. They think you are stupid because you fell for it.
That's all well and good Explorer for barangs to stand up for themselves. However.....did you miss the OP's main point....?

"At this point the dreaded crowd began to gather all staring at me like I'd murdered someone and was deeply in the wrong, and I knew it wouldn't be long before the phones came out and my face and name would be all over the news the next morning with some humiliating spin like I refused to pay a hooker be put on the story."

Remember, the crowd are gonna hear/understand the girl's story.. not the barang's...regardless of what bullshit she's spinning. Then next minute it's on the local news, the police are called etc...who needs that agro? Everybody has their limits but at some point either earlier, later or the same time as the OP when a crowd gathered...I'd be getting out of there regardless of whether I'm right or wrong.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic