I bought a bicycle for $7.50

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

I bought a bicycle for $7.50

Post by explorer »

A lot of Cambodia students are poor, and cant even afford a bicycle. I like to help when I can.

I was cycling in a village yesterday, and went past one of those recycling / scrap places. I saw a bicycle that appeared to be in better condition than most bicycles sent in for scrap metal. I stopped, had a look, and bought the bicycle.

It is a 26 inch girls bike, with no gears, and fatter tyres like a mountain bike. It has a carrier/pannier on the back, but no front basket. The paint is tidier than most bikes sent in for scrap metal, but has some scratches and some rust.

It definitely needs new front brake rubbers. I bought some of these several years ago for around 20c.

There is play in the back hub where the bearings are. This can probably be fixed by tightening up the nuts, but may require new bearings.

Both tyres are good, but flat. It may or may not need new tubes.

If it does not need new tubes, I can probably make it rideable for less than $10, including the purchase price. If it needs new tubes, less than $15.

If it needs tubes and I add a front basket, it should still be less than $20.

It has a plastic seat. The padding and leather cover has gone. A poor Cambodian would be happy to ride it with the seat as is. Some may want a new seat.

A bike like this, fixed up, may sell in a bicycle shop, in small town, for around $40. In Phnom Penh they ask stupid prices for bicycles when they see foreigners. It may be $60 in Phnom Penh.

If I buy a bicycle from a shop, I always get gears. This bike does not have gears. Many Cambodians dont go fast and dont care.

Those who have not bought bicycle spares, you will be amazed at how cheap they are in Cambodia. The mechanic will also fit them for you.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
LinDa777
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I bought a bicycle for $7.50

Post by LinDa777 »

Maybe they don’t even use the seat. The kids in the village where I used to live did it like this Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The bike is actually very similar to that, except it has fatter 26 inch tyres like a mountain bike, and straight handlebars like a mountain bike.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I bought a pump with a pressure gauge for $3.75 and pumped the tires up. They stayed up. The pump will be used for many other bikes too.

I took the back wheel into a bike shop, and had them clean the inside of the hub, apply grease and put it back together for $1.25.

I bought front brake rubbers for 50c.

I bought a new seat for $2.00.

So now the bike is fully functional and has cost $11.25, not including the pump.

I may or may not buy a front basked in the future. You can get these for $1.25. There are different types. Some are more than others.

I have not decided who to give it to yet, but a Cambodian student from a poor family should be happy with it.

I will mention, Cambodian bicycle repairers often pay $5 for bicycles from scrap metal dealers. But these bikes require more work than this one. For example, they may paint the frame.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic