Working Online

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Working Online

Post by tcw57 »

Greetings... If I wanted to supplement my retirement income with some work online would that be a problem while residing in Cambodia on a retirement visa? I'm assuming that according to the strict letter of the law that it would be illegal?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Working Online

Post by RickyBobby »

tcw57 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm Greetings... If I wanted to supplement my retirement income with some work online would that be a problem while residing in Cambodia on a retirement visa? I'm assuming that according to the strict letter of the law that it would be illegal?
If you are on a retirement visa, and work from home, how would anyone ever know about your digital nomad income?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Irrespective of the working/retirement visa question: Would working online in Cambodia (IP address) be a concern for confidentiality and privacy? Are "they" listening (reading) your correspondence? When we are on a business trip to China we are prohibited (by our corporate IT and Security departments) from sending business emails because of this issue there. Maybe not the same in Cambodia?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

cambo swa wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58 am Irrespective of the working/retirement visa question: Would working online in Cambodia (IP address) be a concern for confidentiality and privacy? Are "they" listening (reading) your correspondence? When we are on a business trip to China we are prohibited (by our corporate IT and Security departments) from sending business emails because of this issue there. Maybe not the same in Cambodia?
Is a VPN not sufficient?

I highly doubt that Cambodia has the interest to direct the resources to such a big brother endeavor, let alone the tech.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
KOW happiness
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by KOW happiness »

A VPN would work fine, I agree. Need to be careful with advertising and Facebook etc., disclosure of a business operating from Cambodia could always potentially lead to an investigation of the operator at some stage in the future for a variety of reasons. Also better to use an alternative VOIP / Skype number based outside of Cambodia than using a Cambodian number and SIM card. So it depends on type of business / trade you wish to established to some extent.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Just pay the extra $100 for a work permit and stop worrying. It's easier to comply than to sneak around. Getting EB and WP is no problem even if you're on ER currently.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

Does it mean you have more (and more) money to spend in Cambodia ? :mrgreen: :good:

The government now try to clear the foreigner haven't no money and poor foreigner working for 3 bucks illegally. They are not worry about you :wave:
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Cambodia came up green for compliance with my old company that was based in the US. No tech export ban.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 am
cambo swa wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58 am Irrespective of the working/retirement visa question: Would working online in Cambodia (IP address) be a concern for confidentiality and privacy? Are "they" listening (reading) your correspondence? When we are on a business trip to China we are prohibited (by our corporate IT and Security departments) from sending business emails because of this issue there. Maybe not the same in Cambodia?
Is a VPN not sufficient?

I highly doubt that Cambodia has the interest to direct the resources to such a big brother endeavor, let alone the tech.
But the internet does not always stay in Cmabodia. Sometimes it is routed through Vietnam or china and they do have the resources. Every now and then I get yahoo/outlook whatever telling me I have rcently logged in using an unknown device in Vietnam and sure enough if i check my IP address it is vietnam!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic