Would you still go to thailand?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Would you still go to thailand?

Post by Sidewalker »

Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am
It's the same thing in Cambodia. People talk a whole lotta shit about foreigners, but since they put a fake ass smile on their face, we tend to think they mean no harm. Don't underestimate them. If they could legally slit our throats and get away with it, they would
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am Cambodia is a hellhole, Cambodian people are always cheating me, Cambodians want to slit my throat, everything here is shit, etc
:please:
Cambodia is a hellhole, whether we like to admit it or not. Cambodian people are not always cheating me, but I often have to ask for my change back (and I'm not talking 100 riels... We're talking about a few bucks here). Cambodians do wanna slit my throat. You should see their faces when I drive around with one of the company cars and they're sitting on their shit mopeds, sizzling under the sun. It's the same look successful immigrants get from poor whites back in the west. Not everything here is shit, but the bad far outweighs the good. If my job could transfer me to bkk or Singapore, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

But thank you for only quoting one part of my reply!
Have you ever been tested for being paranoid?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Sidewalker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am
It's the same thing in Cambodia. People talk a whole lotta shit about foreigners, but since they put a fake ass smile on their face, we tend to think they mean no harm. Don't underestimate them. If they could legally slit our throats and get away with it, they would
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am Cambodia is a hellhole, Cambodian people are always cheating me, Cambodians want to slit my throat, everything here is shit, etc
:please:
Cambodia is a hellhole, whether we like to admit it or not. Cambodian people are not always cheating me, but I often have to ask for my change back (and I'm not talking 100 riels... We're talking about a few bucks here). Cambodians do wanna slit my throat. You should see their faces when I drive around with one of the company cars and they're sitting on their shit mopeds, sizzling under the sun. It's the same look successful immigrants get from poor whites back in the west. Not everything here is shit, but the bad far outweighs the good. If my job could transfer me to bkk or Singapore, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

But thank you for only quoting one part of my reply!
Have you ever been tested for being paranoid?
Lol I did say in a previous post that I'm the subject of crippling paranoia... But that's not another paranoid episode. That's legit. Even my Cambodian boss told me that we should get the windows tinted on all company cars... Like I said before, take off your pink sunglasses and take a good look at what's surrounding you. You'd be surprised. I understand that the west left a sour taste in your mouth, but it's not a reason to keep portraying Cambodia as a safe heaven. It isn't. It's a dump populated by people that care more about what's in your wallet than you as a person
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

@ Queef: Why do you think that people, who don't have the same experience as you have, look true pink glasses? I live more than 10 years in Cambodia and feel still comfortable here.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Dario wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 pm Would you still go to thailand?

I've been pondering this question for a while now.

Pros:

- i'm over 50, retired, parking 30k $ in a thai bank account is nothing to me.
- the climate, i'm thinking Udon Thani, Chiang Rai, used to live in phuket, can't stand extreme heat no more.
- living costs, a given
- compared to Cambodia way better health care
- fluent in thai

Con:

- Xenophobia, the "fuck you falang" attitude. When you understand, year in, year out what they're talking about you behind your back, it's disheartening. It's really like they don't want you in the land of the lucky. Deliver your cash & go home.
I used to live in Chiang Rai. The smoke there is worse than ever and now lasts until the wet season. The rest of the year is still smoggy. I would only go back to visit friends.

I never had anything but a great experience with the Thai people. But I prefer the more conservative Cambodians.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Pisshead wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am

2#proof entry /exit.
Is the exit to anywhere or your home country?
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Tinted windows is illegal. I think they made this law to make you feel uncomfortable when khmer are starring at you at a stop light :stir:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Sidewalker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm @ Queef: Why do you think that people, who don't have the same experience as you have, look true pink glasses? I live more than 10 years in Cambodia and feel still comfortable here.
You have a valid point. It's wrong to assume that every single expat in Cambodia is experiencing what I'm experiencing.

Maybe Cambodia is exactly what you need. It doesn't satisfy my needs though. Why do I feel like most of the old expats are looking through pink shades? Well, there's trash everywhere. The place stinks. It's polluted. There isn't a single green space. The average local is as smart as my left shoe. There isn't a general effort to improve the current condition of the country. There isn't any long-term planning. I mean, Cambodians are human beings after all, of course they're dumb as hell. We all are. But compared to neighboring countries, Cambodia is damn shame. Surprisingly, most old expats seem to enjoy living in that kinda place with an SO that doesn't even know what a tectonic plate is.
I like my Cambodian gf, but I could never take her back home. My family would never accept her and my friends would roast her after two seconds.

I'm financially comfortable in Cambodia (which wasn't the case back home). I just miss being entertained, having normal convos with people my age, eating good food and so on.

What was the transition between your home country and Cambodia like? I'm not being a smartass. Please explain in details.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kayve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm Tinted windows is illegal. I think they made this law to make you feel uncomfortable when khmer are starring at you at a stop light :stir:
:lol: :lol: Of course they would. They're out to get me, remember? They wanna slit my throat because they'll never be able to afford a used ranger
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

bittermelon wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm
Pisshead wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am

2#proof entry /exit.
Is the exit to anywhere or your home country?
Exit to any country .

Can be bus, train or plane.

Its just PC paperwork , means nothing.
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

Queef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 pm
Kayve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 pm Tinted windows is illegal. I think they made this law to make you feel uncomfortable when khmer are starring at you at a stop light :stir:
:lol: :lol: Of course they would. They're out to get me, remember? They wanna slit my throat because they'll never be able to afford a used ranger
Back in 2009 on monivong BLVD i remember alot of heavily tinted unplated cars driving around super slow

That was the lakeside era, Sketchy as fuck, I would eat a valium, drink a 6 pack and roll one then cruise on my khmer friends 50cc chaly around sunset.

PPs changed alot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic