Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

Post by violet »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm
violet wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 am Base camp is obviously doable. I have considered that myself....but NO higher!
Why not?
You are strong. Perhaps for bursts not for stamina?
How dare you. His "'Stallion Mode" is legendary.
It is impossible to respond as I would like without disrespecting the Felg, when what I would be aiming for is having a dig at cam nivag so I will refrain.
Last edited by violet on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Joke of the day, "Woman who scaled Cambodia’s three highest peaks eyes Everest

Post by fax »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:32 am But that she thinks cause she "summited" Cambodia's 3 highest peaks (LOL) all under 1,800m
she can now attempt a real mountain.
Even walking, ( that's really all you need do to reach Everest BC at 5,365m) is not a walk in the park
Do you understand that the article was written by a journalist?

A rag editor heard about her, did an interview and this is the result. She doesn't "think" anything, she does what she wants to do and says what she wants to do next.

Stop being a dick.
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

There was a Cambodian chap, a few years back, who was on his way to EBC and succumbed to altitude sickness.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have no desire to climb Mount Everest, even if everything was paid for, and they paid me to do it. The risk of dying is too great.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Hence your user name. Harhar!

Johnny
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm
violet wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 am Base camp is obviously doable. I have considered that myself....but NO higher!
Why not?
You are strong. Perhaps for bursts not for stamina?
How dare you. His "'Stallion Mode" is legendary.
Quiet you.

Thanks, V.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:41 pm Mt Kinabalu summit 4,095m vs Mt Everest BC 5,365m

I cycled to both Everest Base Camps, Annapurna Base Camp an over the roof of the world, (dam i wish i was young again)
all you need do, in the case of walking, is put one foot after the other..
I don't view you as one prone to hyperbole, but I highly doubt you "cycled" (in the traditional sense of the meaning of that word) from Lukla to BC unless you're a world class trials cyclist or something. You'd have to carry the bike half the time, defeating the whole purpose.

Anyways, the whole article isn't newsworthy in any way. I guess they needed some filler? I know several Cambodian girls who's "summited" Oral, so it's a bit silly.

BC isn't a difficult task, nor is it that dangerous. That being said, people routinely get choppered out as altitude sickness can hit anyone at any time. My guide, who'd been doing it for 20+ years, got severe altitude sickness on our way there at around the 4800+m mark. As in, he was stopping every 5-10m to sit down and rest (not an exaggeration), dizziness etc. Can happen to anyone without warning. I got really worried as he was bad for two full days and I had to carry his bag back until we reached lower altitude. She'd be fine doing it (she wouldn't even be the first Cambodian to reach BC), though for a Cambodian the main concern would be the cold. They've got zero experience on how to deal with it, and it's a big part of hiking/mountaineering at higher altitudes. I also doubt she's training by doing 20km marches with a 30KG backpack or anything. You need mental fortitude more than anything, and that doesn't without being pushed out of your comfort zone. In her defence though, I've hiked in Cambodia several times and it's quite different and challenging in its own way. The heat can be pretty intense, making for a very different kind of hiking (albeit rarely scenic or invigorating the way hiking in mountainous regions usually is). The area in Kompong Speu she's talking about is probably Phnom Srouyt and those hills. They're really baby hills more than anything. But hey, some locals are starting to enjoy the outdoors and stuff like that, so more power to them. It might help preserve the little that's left in terms of forest cover and wildlife. There's really very little left for them to enjoy in terms of nature, so the faster they get into such activities, the better.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yep, lots of carrying the bike, but we still made it
Everest BC on the Chinese side, we rode the whole thing
ABC carry about 60%
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I did the Kailash Kora with a mountain bike. Not much riding but fun times. That place has some other worldly vibe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic