Man on Moto Killed by Cobra

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Man on Moto Killed by Cobra

Post by Spigzy »

Surprised not to see this one here, duly filed in my "Reasons to sod riding a motorbike up country" list.

https://tvfb.news/article/19594?fbclid= ... L_UWEPdDZE

Sod. That.

(location: Snoul, Kratie)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Man on Moto Killed by Cobra

Post by Spigzy »

(Different event, this guy survives ...)

Yep. Sticking to PP riding - even though I've seen a green snake on Norodom just by the Myanmar Embassy once upon a time .... :-)
Srokchkai
Tourist
Latvia

Post by Srokchkai »

That’s a good sized Cobra. These are beautiful animals and they are plentiful in the kingdom. Often when these snakes are spotted in the proximity of a Wat many Khmer’s will believe that they belong to the Buddha. It’s a shame that alternatively people believe in the libido boosting effects associated with the drinking of their blood. They are very adept hunters and I certainly would not like to have one lunging towards me while on a motorcycle.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

It's a king cobra. I highly doubt Khmers know what an Endangered species is, like a king cobra.

I've been hunting in Provinces and have not found one yet. They are so smart. Unlike the normal species of cobra Naja.
Apparently he ran over the center of the King while it was sunning itself in the road and it bit his calf.
Still here, in country...
Srokchkai
Tourist
Latvia

Post by Srokchkai »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10 pm It's a king cobra. I highly doubt Khmers know what an Endangered species is, like a king cobra.

I've been hunting in Provinces and have not found one yet. They are so smart. Unlike the normal species of cobra Naja.
Apparently he ran over the center of the King while it was sunning itself in the road and it bit his calf.
+1

I agree they are extremely smart. When I said they are plentiful, I meant in relation to other parts of the world. They are indeed an endangered species internationally, AFAIK.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Is there a remedy? What to do, or is it game over.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Srokchkai wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:26 pm They are indeed an endangered species internationally, AFAIK.
They aren't endangered, they are classed as "vulnerable".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:45 pm Is there a remedy? What to do, or is it game over.
He’s dead Jim!!! I’m a doctor not a God! :D

Seriously though, looks like game over pretty much all the time...

“Unless the right antivenom is administered quickly, a human bite victim can die within 30 minutes. Their venom is powerful enough that a single bite can kill a 12,000-pound elephant in just three hours”.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 am (Different event, this guy survives ...)

Yep. Sticking to PP riding - even though I've seen a green snake on Norodom just by the Myanmar Embassy once upon a time .... :-)
Cobras on the road was not uncommona few years back between kampot and kep. had a couple of near misses but much smaller snakes than that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic