Cambodian Food

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cambodian Food

Post by phuketrichard »

davegorman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:29 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm To the recent arrivals in Cambodia.

Go to restaurants with a lot of customers.

The food is probably nicer.

You are less likely to get food poisoning.
OMG. You’re full of helpful advice.
next he will be telling everyone to look on TA and only go to recommended restaurants from there

I once was in Bagan an went out to eat, saw a restaurant full of young westerners, that had a sign "recommended by Trip advisor"
i went in the empty one next door ( same menu) and had a great Burmese meal. Asked the owner why he was empty an he pointed at the young backpackers eating western food in the restaurant next door and said he wasn't on ta .....YET> LOL

I seldom eat in Khmer restaurants cause my gf an her sisters can cook much tastier food..
Most we will eat out is soup for breakfast or if we are on the road

Personally we prefer spicy foods so find thai an Malaysian food much tastier..
an the food in the Singapore food courts.....MMMM delicious :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

If you stay in phnom penh (worst > riverside area=big scam) of course the food suck :D

Having family here and some in countryside, i can say that food served in Phnom Penh is awful.

Like some says before me, it's not about repeating, but mostly "give me your money today".
The ones who live on repetition > rice place for building worker , and it's really good.
Also the money doesn't meet the good cook. Investors prefer to employ someone from the family or someone they know.
When good cooks don't have the money to open a restaurant.

If you want to eat properly you need to know some people who will cook for you real food.
The best would be to eat in countryside with farmer where they cook for real.

In my family women are great cook, I don't think it's only in mine.
(btw been in Vietnam and Thailand)
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

"The best would be to eat in countryside with farmer where they cook for real."

The bucolic notion that rural cuisine is rsuperior is an illusion. They work hard and would happily devour the table the meal sits on. I’ve been living in rural Cambodia for almost 2 decades and am weary of the local market"s breakfast selection, rice 3-4 times a day or homemade backyard soup, nutritious but boring. Their food is of the same quality as their rice wine. Imminently forgettable, but it gets the job done. Primarily food is viewed for it's utilitarian functions. Taste buds be damned and pull up a seat stranger!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Most Cambodian food is subpar, especially with Thailand and Vietnam next door with great food. And not just the taste, I cannot stand the bashing bones into small pieces in the food.

That being said I do like Kaw and Luk lak. My wife learned from YouTube a bunch of western recipes so I feel fortunate.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orussey98 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:01 pm If you stay in phnom penh (worst > riverside area=big scam) of course the food suck :D

Having family here and some in countryside, i can say that food served in Phnom Penh is awful.

Like some says before me, it's not about repeating, but mostly "give me your money today".
The ones who live on repetition > rice place for building worker , and it's really good.
Also the money doesn't meet the good cook. Investors prefer to employ someone from the family or someone they know.
When good cooks don't have the money to open a restaurant.

If you want to eat properly you need to know some people who will cook for you real food.
The best would be to eat in countryside with farmer where they cook for real.

In my family women are great cook, I don't think it's only in mine.
(btw been in Vietnam and Thailand)
The food made in homes is much more carefully prepared and can be much better. The area I work in is central enough but nearly all the local restaurants/ cafes sell almost exclusively to locals. They sell a wide variety of lunchtime dishes, or specialize in one item like duck. The ones that sell good food get well known, and the ones that sell crap don't see many customers. I've never seen any other barang in one of these places and get the exact same food as any of the (local) people with me so it's ridiculous that some on here are claiming sabotage and rotten meat. I'm not crazy about most local food though, it can be okay but I'd prefer Mexican/ Indian/ Italian etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Amkoo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Amkoo »

I totally agree, cambodian food is nasty. I have never had tasty cambodian food either.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

my 3 favorites are
1. Kor sach chrouk ( carmelized pork and egg)
2. fish amok
3. khmer red curry
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm
Kor sach chrouk ( caramelized pork and egg)
That's one of the common dishes sold at lunchtime. The taste is okay but the pork is usually bony or has too much fat.
Curries, green or red are usually good here, it just depends again on how many bones are still in the mix.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm my 3 favorites are
1. Kor sach chrouk ( carmelized pork and egg)
2. fish amok
3. khmer red curry
along with nom banh chok, Kuy teav, sour soups ,Kor Ko (the beef one not somlor korko although not bad), frog stuffed with kroeung, beef salad, Banh Chao (banh xeo & other Vietnamese/Cambodian food), banana flower salad, mango salad etc etc

I agree with other posters that good Cambodian food can be hard to find but there is some great stuff out there.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Part of reason missus seems to have gotten sick was from eating Taiwanese food. First thing back in Cambodia she bought rice soup and fried noodles from a sidewalk stall. Even though barely at any of it, just touching the food made her feel better.

Go figure.

Have you tried the Khmer ginger fried chicken?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic