U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by Chamboy »

I have had a savings account with Cambodian Public Bank for years. Prior to electronic direct deposit it was a real hassle.
I had to pick up my check at the embassy and take it to the bank. They in turn sent it back to The States. I have no idea of the paper trail, but I had to wait 4-6 weeks for each check to clear. Now I get the check deposited by the 3rd to 5th of each month. I have a. debit card with $1,000 limit which is more than adequate for my needs.
Chodi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Chodi »

Chamboy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:41 pm I have had a savings account with Cambodian Public Bank for years. Prior to electronic direct deposit it was a real hassle.
I had to pick up my check at the embassy and take it to the bank. They in turn sent it back to The States. I have no idea of the paper trail, but I had to wait 4-6 weeks for each check to clear. Now I get the check deposited by the 3rd to 5th of each month. I have a. debit card with $1,000 limit which is more than adequate for my needs.
So just to be clear,, you are saying that you are now receiving your Social Security by direct deposit monthly to Cambodian Public Bank? If I understand you correctly, then everything I have been told by the SSA rep is true. I assume you had to get the bank to sign the one page form and send that to SSA Manila in order to activate your direct deposit? Your comments would seem to confirm everything I was told by SSA Manila.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Chodi wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 pm
Chamboy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:41 pm I have had a savings account with Cambodian Public Bank for years. Prior to electronic direct deposit it was a real hassle.
So just to be clear,, you are saying that you are now receiving your Social Security by direct deposit monthly to Cambodian Public Bank? If I understand you correctly, then everything I have been told by the SSA rep is true. I assume you had to get the bank to sign the one page form and send that to SSA Manila in order to activate your direct deposit? Your comments would seem to confirm everything I was told by SSA Manila.
Yes I stand by the info in this post. Paperwork did have to be filled out which I both emailed and sent by snail mail to Manila to be doubly sure. I have now been receiving electronic deposits for three hassle free months. Of course American Citizens Services is equally delighted to be relieved of the burden on their end.

I've been happy with the service at this bank
however I suspect that other banks offer the same quality. I stuck with them since other banks refused to honor SS checks prior to electronic deposits. Also there is no ATM surcharge for withdrawals. I wish you good luck wherever you bank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic