Senator Anning Egged at Press Conference and Punches Teenager after comments on NZ shooting

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Senator Anning Egged at Press Conference and Punches Teenager after comments on NZ shooting

Post by Chamboy »

RickyBobby wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:36 am Trump Derangement Syndrome rearing its ugly head again. Of course they want to say he was a Trump Supporter. #trumpbad
Quite the appropriate disease to name after America's President. Final symptoms include national embarrassment, alienation of former friends and delusions of grandeur. Make America great again: dump that sick SOB.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Senator Anning Egged at Press Conference and Punches Teenager after comments on NZ shooting

Post by fax »

Arget wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 am So now if we don't agree with something a politician says then we are able to "egg" them or maybe throw milk over them or pour urine or faeces on them with impunity and be celebrated for it.

i don't agree with Anning and his opinions or disgraceful statement but we cannot have people taking actions such as this kid.
Yes we are able to. It doesn't mean that we should just that we could. The same way we could hang them on the square for failing us. We don't, but we probably should more often. Pitchforks work.

The rules of representation are quite easy, frankly. Represent or pay the consequences. There's a certain risk involved hence politicians earn more than most of us.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

siliconlife wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:08 pm The most important thing is stopping further Australians from becoming far-right terrorists. The question here is what do we focus on...]
You do that by meeting people on the battlefield of ideas, not the battlefield. The problem is that there are many people in western nations who would like to see a reduction in Muslim refugees and immigrants but they are getting being gaslighted and called Islamaphobic when they have genuine concerns. This radicalizes people.

Here's some numbers from Europe.
Drawing on a unique, new Chatham House survey of more than 10,000 people from 10 European states, we can throw new light on what people think about migration from mainly Muslim countries. Our results are striking and sobering. They suggest that public opposition to any further migration from predominantly Muslim states is by no means confined to Trump’s electorate in the US but is fairly widespread.
In our survey, carried out before President Trump’s executive order was announced, respondents were given the following statement: ‘All further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped’. They were then asked to what extent did they agree or disagree with this statement. Overall, across all 10 of the European countries an average of 55% agreed that all further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped, 25% neither agreed nor disagreed and 20% disagreed.

Majorities in all but two of the ten states agreed, ranging from 71% in Poland, 65% in Austria, 53% in Germany and 51% in Italy to 47% in the United Kingdom and 41% in Spain. In no country did the percentage that disagreed surpass 32%.
https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/com ... mmigration#
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Arget wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:40 pm I have no anger against him or his juvenile mates for egging but I do have an issue with people who get their 15 minutes of fame by completing a stunt like the egging and the media making a "hero" out of him. Is this an act you would be proud of your son doing?
I am old fashioned and believe that you have the right to say what you think but must be prepared that others may not believe in your opinion. I cannot condone the media for highlighting an act of stupidity/assault for simple public reaction.
I believe Senator Fraser broke Australian laws by using hate speech. That could be debated but it's not a debate I'm interested in unless it goes to court. For me his crimes are worse than eggboy's. It's not that egging is right or he should be made a hero, it just shocks me how Australians are shying away from the big topic at hand - namely that there is a breeding ground for terrorism and racism in our country. Would I be proud if he were my son? Ambivalently. I'd probably also give him a little slap in the face like Fraser did. Eggboy never would've been able to pull of his "stunt" if Fraser hadn't given him the chance though. Either way, I'd be prouder of being eggboy's father than the father of anyone in the UPF, or someone who supported Fraser's views. Where do one's priorities lie, is the question at hand? Anti-egging or anti-racism? What do we want to focus on? Eggboy or terror-supporters?
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Furthermore, I just find it difficult to understand why people care if eggboy is trying to draw attention to himself or not, especially after what Tarrant has just done with Facebook Live. Tarrant's attention-seeking overshadows things here for me, and having a go at eggboy is some Australians' way of trying to disassociate themselves from what Tarrant did. It just doesn't rub with me. Tarrant was an Australian, and we have BIG problems in Australia. Eggboy isn't one of them... And that's my opinion here.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

RogueAnt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:57 pm
siliconlife wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:08 pm The most important thing is stopping further Australians from becoming far-right terrorists. The question here is what do we focus on...]
You do that by meeting people on the battlefield of ideas, not the battlefield. The problem is that there are many people in western nations who would like to see a reduction in Muslim refugees and immigrants but they are getting being gaslighted and called Islamaphobic when they have genuine concerns. This radicalizes people.

Here's some numbers from Europe.
Drawing on a unique, new Chatham House survey of more than 10,000 people from 10 European states, we can throw new light on what people think about migration from mainly Muslim countries. Our results are striking and sobering. They suggest that public opposition to any further migration from predominantly Muslim states is by no means confined to Trump’s electorate in the US but is fairly widespread.
In our survey, carried out before President Trump’s executive order was announced, respondents were given the following statement: ‘All further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped’. They were then asked to what extent did they agree or disagree with this statement. Overall, across all 10 of the European countries an average of 55% agreed that all further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped, 25% neither agreed nor disagreed and 20% disagreed.

Majorities in all but two of the ten states agreed, ranging from 71% in Poland, 65% in Austria, 53% in Germany and 51% in Italy to 47% in the United Kingdom and 41% in Spain. In no country did the percentage that disagreed surpass 32%.
https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/com ... mmigration#
Unsure as to your point, exactly. Are you saying that Connolly is more radicalising than Fraser, Tarrant, or the UPF?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic