Should I come to Phnom Penh before or after New Years?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Should I come to Phnom Penh before or after New Years?

Post by kritsana77 »

I am planning to visit Phnom Penh in April and stay for one month. I would like to get a one month service apartment and maybe travel to Kompot or possibly Bangkok.
Is it better to get to PP before or after New Years? I think PP might be easier to get around town during New Years but might not well work getting an apartment. Any advice would be great. Thank you. :please:
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Should I come to PP before or after New Years

Post by yongchi »

During Khmer New Year, Phnom Penh will be a lot quieter than usual and a lot of the businesses will be shut.

Many people will head to their home province to celebrate with the family.
So if you you want to experience Phnom Penh in its busy glory, perhaps come after KNY. Head to a smaller place to experience KNY.

If you want to come now, you should still be able to find a place to rent. Guesthouse and hotel rooms by the month can also be had for a decent price. Perhaps easier than a serviced apartment.

If you want to get all wet and partake in spraying other people, Bangkok would be a great option as Thai New Year is at the same time

I appreciate a break from the busy-ness and will likely stay here in PP meandering the streets like in the old days.

One thing I should add, we currently have daily power cuts here. This is not going to change before and even after KNY. Not a big issue but if you need electricity and Internet, there will be some interruptions.

When you rent something, perhaps ask if they have a generator.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Great advice Thank you. I lived i BKK for many years. Please I hope there is no water games in PP.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Very unlikely that you get really wet in Phnom Penh. I would still wrap my computer in some extra plastic but I have only been a little wet once in many years.
I hope that doesn’t change.
Thinking about it, I did turn back a couple of times when I saw people acting suspiciously.
Maybe someone else can chime in and share their ‘watering experience.’
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

hello, when do they start sending water in PP ? thanks.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I would go to SR for KNY, it's pretty good to visit and the area all around Angkor Wat is all set up well for the celebrations.

Whatever you decide, make sure you have accommodations arranged for the duration and in advance. (also true for CNY)
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

I was in Battambang for KNY last year and it was pretty wet and wild. I had wrapped everything up that was water-sensitive in ziplock bags and generally went with the flow. At least everyone was pretty good natured but more than one day of watering would have sufficed.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

yongchi wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm Very unlikely that you get really wet in Phnom Penh. I would still wrap my computer in some extra plastic but I have only been a little wet once in many years.
I hope that doesn’t change.
In the meantime, I have spoken to some people who have gotten wet in Phnom Penh, so disregard the “very unlikely.”

It seems to depend on where you live in PP.

What I experienced in Bangkok and Chiang Mai was a different ball game though. I couldn’t stay dry for thirty minutes.

In any case, better to seal non-waterproof phones, cameras and other valuables in waterproof ziplock bags or leave them at home.

Safe travels.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic