OC Beach Club Otres Beach

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: OC Beach Club Otres Beach

Post by Sailorman »

Except for the plate, our meal looked nothing like this. When you pay $30. for a meal and a drink you expect what you see in the picture, not what we got. Once again I'll state, what other people have gotten may be good, but what we got was sh*t. Good restaurants are consistent. BTW Apples n/ oranges, but the T-bone is a better cut of meat than the ribeye. Check any Chef site or Chef school that has info on line. Also we ordered "Prime" and got "Cutter/Canner" (look up your grades of meat.) We have a saying in America, "You can't polish a turd." Well they served us a polished turd.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

T-Bone refers to a thinner Porterhouse which I'd much I'd rather have. Most top steak houses don't call them T-bones. You have the filet (tenderloin) on 1 side of the bone and the NY (or strip) on the other and the bone adds flavor. Actually I'd rather eat a bone-in NY. To me the tenderloin is flavorless. I love Rib Eyes as well as they are well marbled with fat. You don't need to pay for Prime to get a nice tender piece of meat - Angus or Choice will do. They are no cheaper than NYs, or Porterhouses of the same grade.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Most steak house's in American call it a T-bone, and a step up is the porterhouse. The meat cutting classification for T-bone is IMPS-1174 and Porterhouse is IMPS-1173. The T-bone is not a thinner Porterhouse. The Porterhouse is cut from the rear of the short loin and the T-bone more to the front of the short loin.

Angus is not a classification of grade of meat. The USDA meat classifications are in order: US Prime, US Choice, US Select, US Standard, US Commercial, US Utility, US Cutter, US Canner. (What we got at OC beach club I would grade at US Utility.)

BTW/ My great-great grandfather in the 1870's drove a herd of black angus from St. Louis, Missouri to Boise, Idaho. (the first black angus in Idaho), so my family has been around steaks for a while.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I didn't know that about the T-bone. I've never seen a thick one I guess. IMO 'Angus' came about in response to the grade of 'Choice' doubled to include like 55% of all meat, rendering it virtually meaningless. Black Angus is a breed, but the association holds their members to a pretty high standard (kinda like what Choice used to be). I can't remember seeing a T-bone on a steakhouse menu, so I checked the big names. Morton's, Smith & Wollensky,& Gibson's & Prime, serve Porterhouse. Bern's & Ruth Chris serve both T-bone & Porterhouse. The Palm & David Burke's Primehouse have neither. Burke's all about Ribeye's, Peter Luger's, of course serves just short loins. Keen's menu is fucked up and I couldn't check it out.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

http://www.primesteakhouses.com/tbone-p ... steak.html
t-bone = porterhouse, except porterhouse is larger as it's taken from the larger end of the tenderloin.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

StroppyChops wrote:http://www.primesteakhouses.com/tbone-p ... steak.html
t-bone = porterhouse, except porterhouse is larger as it's taken from the larger end of the tenderloin.
Except in Australia where a Porterhouse = Striploin
Porterhouse
A well-marbled, tender and flavourful steak, with a trimmed side fat covering. Also known as Strip loin or Sirloin.
http://raresteakhouse.com.au/12web/best-steak-cuts.asp

The strip steak is a type of cut of beef steaks. Internationally it is called a club steak. In the United States and Canada it is also known as New York strip, strip loin, shell steak, or Kansas City strip steak. In Australia it is known as a porterhouse steak or boneless sirloin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Interesting
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic