Expat claims he got $2000 in fake bills at ABA bank on Monivong

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Expat claims he got $2000 in fake bills at ABA bank on Monivong

Post by Cam Nivag »

I just used an ABA machine yesterday. There a new screen that comes up in the process that says something like “Be sure to check all the bills you receive and call the number immediately if there’s a problem, otherwise we’re not responsible.”

I checked all the hundreds I got carefully and they were legit but one of the twenties had a slight tear in it that was rejected at the first place I tried to use it.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

3rd time in a row this has happened to me at ABA. Different branches too. When you withdraw larger amounts, you need to check every single bill. Every $10,000 stack seems to have exactly one old series note buried somewhere in the middle. 3 out of 3 times does not happen by chance.

Luckily I have a friend coming over from the states who I can get to change it for me, but be real careful if you withdraw from ABA. They obviously have a stash of old 100's they are trying to dispose of, and they aren't being subtle about getting rid of them.

Never had a fake bill from them, but as long as you have to check every bill anyway, it doesn't hurt to be extra careful.
Radiums
Tourist
France

Post by Radiums »

Dear to all,

Last week i withdraw 500USD in a Canadia bank ATM in Kratie, north Cambodgia.
I got 3 real notes and 2 counterfeit ones, the one marked "COPY" on it.

Of course in the wonderful Cambodgia, no-one really care of my complain, either the bank and of course the police.

I assume some people who works in the ATM note recharging replace some original bills with fake ones, then taking the money for themself. This is obviously scandalous and never seen in my life everywhere else in the world. Be careful!

Advices :
Withdraw in ATM in front of a bank at opening time and check carefully all your bills : smelling, blue lines, sound and touching. It seems more and more fraud like this hapening here in Cambodgia.
I will never travel again in this country.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

So in Paris there's no scammers either? Paris is near the top of the list.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic