Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by Duncan »

davegorman wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 pm Don’t modern ATMs refuse counterfeit notes?
I’m sure my aunt said that when she worked for Deusche Bank. That was 15 years ago and the machine would reject any fake notes.

People with fake notes often try to cover their backs by saying something on social media. Or they’ve been scammed since removing the cash.

Just took out some cash from ABA counter (because non of the machines had any!) took 45 minutes. 30 mins waiting and 15 mins for her to count it, feel it front and back, go off to do something else then count it again!
Why do they always do that? Walk off and do something unrelated? Maybe she’s the senior assistant to the assistants manager.

It's called '' multi-tasking ''. Younger generation Asians are able to do several jobs at once with only one brain and serve several customers making several mistakes along the way. Have you not seen how they can drive a car while babysitting a kid on their lap, while talking to their friends all at the same time.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by davegorman »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm
davegorman wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 pm Don’t modern ATMs refuse counterfeit notes?
I’m sure my aunt said that when she worked for Deusche Bank. That was 15 years ago and the machine would reject any fake notes.

People with fake notes often try to cover their backs by saying something on social media. Or they’ve been scammed since removing the cash.

Just took out some cash from ABA counter (because non of the machines had any!) took 45 minutes. 30 mins waiting and 15 mins for her to count it, feel it front and back, go off to do something else then count it again!
Why do they always do that? Walk off and do something unrelated? Maybe she’s the senior assistant to the assistants manager.

It's called '' multi-tasking ''. Younger generation Asians are able to do several jobs at once with only one brain and serve several customers making several mistakes along the way. Have you not seen how they can drive a car while babysitting a kid on their lap, while talking to their friends all at the same time.
Silly moi. They are so much more efficient.

Maybe one of them could have multi tasked the ATM with cash.
lipservice
Expatriate

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs in Cambodia

Post by lipservice »

We need to change to a big head of Donald :)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Two Aussie backpackers claimed they got a dud $100 from ABA ATM at Come Here Restarant on 19 & 172. I was about to use it.
I walked them to the ABA branch in Central Market where they tried to complain
Maybe it did happen, or maybe a badly devised scam as ABA will no doubt tell them to F.O. i really don't know for sure.
Just wanted to give an alert, avoid this ATM (or draw out less than $100) fo
ulialia
Tourist

Post by ulialia »

Hey everyone, I've got counterfeit 100$ note from anz royal atm in phom penh airport :) police ignoring me, anz royal main office manager said - it's not happening.
Radiums
Tourist
France

Post by Radiums »

Dear to all,

Last week i withdraw 500USD in a Canadia bank ATM in Kratie, north Cambodgia.
I got 3 real notes and 2 counterfeit ones, the one marked "COPY" on it.

Of course in the wonderful Cambodgia, no-one really care of my complain, either the bank and of course the police.

I assume some people who works in the ATM note recharging replace some original bills with fake ones, then taking the money for themself. This is obviously scandalous and never seen in my life everywhere else in the world. Be careful!

Advices :
Withdraw in ATM in front of a bank at opening time and check carefully all your bills : smelling, blue lines, sound and touching. It seems more and more fraud like this hapening here in Cambodgia.
I will never travel again in this country.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Glad I don't use an ATM card. Saving the $8-$15 annual fee for one seems like the least of my worries!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic