best fried chicken in town?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

best fried chicken in town?

Post by curiosity »

Anyone?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: best fried chicken in town?

Post by StroppyChops »

I'll be heckled for this, but the fried chicken at Lucky Burgers is good.

Edit: oh look, my keyboard has learned Khmenglish.
Spoiler:
In case the error doesn't display on all devices:
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

the best fried chicken in town is my Khmer wife's..
I taught her how my Aunt from Arkansas made it...
I had some thighs for lunch today...
oil temperature is crucial..
a lot of southern cooks season the pieces overnight..some soak in buttermilk...
some double coat...
depends on the crust you are looking for...
in the old days I would judge a joint on how good its fried chicken or chicken fried steak was...for lunch or dinner and how good its biscuits and gravy were for breakfast...
those joints are few and far between...now...
My Pop aka Stepfather was a great weekend cook and his secret was a deep electric skillet he could set the temperature on, a paper sack of seasoned flour to shake the piece in and he would finish with his secret spice combination of Lawry's seasoned salt and this spice blend called beau monde....
it was pretty fucking good!
my Aunt used a deep cast iron skillet...
My buddies in highschool nicknamed her The Colonel because here fried chicken was so good...
Kentucky Fried Chicken...aka KFC's...Colonel Sanders.
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

Which town?
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Hmmm... Real good topic... Hmmmm... Ive tried a bunch of places and mobile carts but can honestly say not one really stands out. From the stores n carts the chik just feels like the same fried chik i have back home so nothing mind blowing.. cooked well but mehh...

I like my chik spicy so the one i like the most is from mcd... Havent tried in cam but thai/malay both have it and they were bangin as hell!!! Waking up in the morn was painful but thats wat u get for eating 5 pieces, fries n soda... Cant help it, im a glutton when it comes to fried chik ..

I like the herby ones too but i dont think ill find it here outside of kfc... Which by the way, kfc is awesome!!!!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

j57 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:08 pm the best fried chicken in town is my Khmer wife's..
I taught her how my Aunt from Arkansas made it...
I had some thighs for lunch today...
oil temperature is crucial..
a lot of southern cooks season the pieces overnight..some soak in buttermilk...
some double coat...
depends on the crust you are looking for...
in the old days I would judge a joint on how good its fried chicken or chicken fried steak was...for lunch or dinner and how good its biscuits and gravy were for breakfast...
those joints are few and far between...now...
My Pop aka Stepfather was a great weekend cook and his secret was a deep electric skillet he could set the temperature on, a paper sack of seasoned flour to shake the piece in and he would finish with his secret spice combination of Lawry's seasoned salt and this spice blend called beau monde....
it was pretty fucking good!
my Aunt used a deep cast iron skillet...
My buddies in highschool nicknamed her The Colonel because here fried chicken was so good...
Kentucky Fried Chicken...aka KFC's...Colonel Sanders.
Please share the detailed recipe...

I am from London where there is some of best foreign food restaurants anywhere in the world, perhaps because England has no internationally renowned cuisine beyond fish n chips and a sometimes a good Sunday lunch. But I can't remember ever seeing any southern states / creole etc restaurants. I never gave that cuisine a second thought...That changed when I tried a Gumbo! Now I'm interested...

So share the secret...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:19 pm I'll be heckled for this, but the fried chicken at Lucky Burgers is good.

Edit: oh look, my keyboard has learned Khmenglish.
Spoiler:
In case the error doesn't display on all devices:

For years I have been taking my kids to Lucky Burgers at Takhmau and the chicken was always well cooked and served so hot you could not pick it up in your hands, but a few months ago it appears the franchise was taken over by someone new. All the staff changed and less of them, different uniforms , service sucks and the chicken is under cooked and not hot. Along with them cutting back on the tomato sauce and hand napkins,,, but the place has no competition so I guess it will continue on a downhill slide.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic