Anti-plastic bottle initiative for tourists, Siem Reap.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Anti-plastic bottle initiative for tourists, Siem Reap.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Why do they collect the plastic bottles separately then, if they are not recyclable ?
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Also teach the Cambodians that you dont have to place that single bottle of water in a small plastic bag that gets thrown on the ground 3 seconds after the purchase.
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am Why do they collect the plastic bottles separately then, if they are not recyclable ?
They are recyclable what i know but its so little money. 1kg of bottles is worth as much as 1 single can i got told once by a recycler.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

For a simple solution one can have a look at Thailand ! Yes, Thailand !

Although this country has similar problems with plastic pollution it has a definite advantage over let's say Cambodia. Around the country there are Water Dispensors where you can refill Water Bottles, big or small for a rediculous low price. What you get is clean drinking water ! Because of the low price my fellow backpackers, always eager to find something even cheaper like a free refill in a Hostel i believe they would use this kind of offer if they can find it. In thailand it's literally everywhere !

How many Bottles could you safe on this kind of installation used by Tourists alone, let alone locals which..... because of the low price would think twice before throwing away a bottle.

https://www.boundingoveroursteps.com/ho ... -thailand/
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

i was just telling my wife about growing up before plastic bottles...when glass was reused...
picking up bottles and getting 3-5 cents apiece..
then going to a movie...
this was the real Kansas...by the way...to all you who base your historical knowledge on The Wizard of Oz movie...
Khmer people need to be taught a better way.
I noticed in the Province her family sweeping up debris like they had always done..as had their mothers ...etc...
just like in the old days in USA..burning leaves..in the fall ...
But..now..there are plastic bottles in the mix and they do not grasp the air pollution ..
We used to use old tires and diesel with a bit of gas to get a large brush pile to burn in winter...the tires kept it burning...
We stopped...we learned...
I sure was shocked to see hundreds of plastic bottles on a tiny island beach a year ago off the coast of Kep ..
I must say... I am glad I have memories of snorkeling and living in pristine places 40 years ago..
Asia is a dirty place and the chinese already destroyed their environment and sure don't care about sihanoukville...or any rivers in Cambodia.

Siem Reap is a great place to recycle and teach and lead by example...
I sure would like to see more composting and separate bins for plastic and cans...
But, just go to any city in USA and you will see a young punk toss his garbage just a few steps from a trash can or a guy in a nice car will toss his McDonald's trash out the window rather than take it home...
Don't be a little bug....was the public service message in the 60s...
long forgotten i am afraid...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Its time ! Its time to STOP using plastic in the tourism industry
Published on August 24, 2019

“I cannot control the world, but I can control my world.” That’s what Christian de Boer told me in a recent conversation. Our world needs more like him. Originally from The Netherlands, Christian is now Managing Director of Jaya House River Park, a 36-room hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Those who know their history know that Cambodia was a terrible place to be in the 1970s. Cambodia remains one of the poorest, least developed countries in Asia, but life is getting better Christian told me. “I have been in the country 11 years,” he said. “The changes have been unbelievable.”

With economic progress comes the potential for pollution and that is what Christian is focused on—specifically plastic water bottle pollution. In a place where you just can’t drink from the tap, plastic water bottles are everywhere—along roadways, in waterways, in landfills and in rice fields and gardens. Few bottles are recycled as the facilities for doing so are virtually non-existent. Christian says there are not necessarily more plastic bottles there than here in the States; it is just that we do a better job of hiding them.

Seeing the plastic bottle problem and how tourism contributes to it, Christian launched a campaign to get businesses throughout the region to offer refillable aluminum water bottles instead of disposable plastic ones. The campaign, called Refill Not Landfill, has already avoided the placement of 1.2 million plastic bottles into Cambodia’s waste stream. More than 40 members of Siem Reap’s hospitality and tourism industries and development sector have joined ReFill Not Landfill.

More details here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/its-time ... card_title
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

December 9, 2021
Siem Reap plastics campaigner signs on as UN adviser
Peter Olszewski / Khmer Times
Siem Reap hotel manager Christian de Boer has notched up a first for Cambodia – he’s now an advisor to the United Nations World Tourism Organization on how to reduce the mountains of single-use plastic in the tourism industry.

“After months of working together with the United Nations and the UN World Tourism Organization teams, I am indeed excited to be able to take this advisory and leadership role,” he says.

Christian is general manager of the Jaya House River Park Hotel, where he was able to define and refine his plastic-free strategies.
“Being in charge of Jaya House River Park gave me the opportunity to make a few policy decisions, such as being single-use plastic free,” he says. “The inspiration came after long chats with industry peers ranging from the owner of Little Red Fox Espresso to Joni Aker, the general manager of the Treeline Urban Resort, and indeed, many others.

“Years ago, we continued the talks and conversations with like-minded, progressive tour operators like Easia Travel, Khiri Travel, Phare the Cambodian Circus, and others to try to make a more consistent difference amongst a wider range of issues facing the tourism industry.”

Christian believes that just one hotel like Jaya House can trigger a chain reaction throughout the entire global hotel industry.

“Once one tour operator, hotel or destination management company (actively commits to a more environmental approach to operating, they will be able to create a niche for themselves and increase their turnover,” he says. “Thus other hotels, tour operators, or destination management companies will follow their lead, and collectively we can make a major difference indeed.

“Here at Jaya House River Park, we actively took the lead in 2016 and received global recognition as a result. A simple look on Google will reveal articles in major global publications like Newsweek, Forbes, and the New York Times to name a few, positively commenting on our efforts.”

Christian now predicts that in the post-Covid world, plastic use consciousness will become standard fare in hotels following guest demands.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50985315/s ... n-adviser/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic