Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 pm tbh i go out dressed smarter in Cambodia than i do in England :D
Well, you know how the system works here and Asia in general. First impressions and appearances are everything. If you dress poor or look dirty local people will look down on you.

Unlike our home countries in the west where they seem to dress down after work and on weekends, don't dress up to go to the shops and heck, you could see a guy step out of his Merc in stubby shorts, T shirt and thongs.

It amazes me sometimes the effort khmers go to to keep their cars clean yet they might live in a crumby shophouse. Again appearances, status. It's like the cultures are diametrically opposed in this regard.

I've overheard discussions between my GF and her work colleagues about why barangs are so casual or look poor. Especially as they often presume all barangs have money but then they realise some don't when they do a runner and don't pay the bill..

I've had guys say to me over the years..Oh, why don't I have any luck with the nice girls in the bar? Yet they couldn't be bothered to make the effort to present well...dress up, get a hair cut, put on deodorant et al or behave badly or drink too much. The girls are not just about the money..
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

I hope he is learning, and his posts will get better from now on."

Strange. That is my reaction to your Khmer language posts. Inadvertent humour is indeed uplifting.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Bluelabel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm
Albror wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm Nothing wrong to be comfortable spending time on your own but its often easy to see if its by choice. Well dressed, clean, nice haircut, looks happy VS dirty, broken clothes, eyes of a rapist, piss-stains etc.

Got to be quite rare for single women to travel from west to Cambodia to meet men thus we dont see them.
Appearance's can decieve, looking poor isnt always a bad thing in asia especially is you dont like being pestered by beggers and book sellers
Not sure if i fully agree.

Dressing proper can signal that you are not the average tourist sucker. I always had the feeling that people give up on me much faster when im outside in jeans and a long sleeved shirt then shorts and tank-top. Dress respect-worthy and you will be given more respect. It can even save you some money as its in favor for you when you haggle on prices. Hookers will charge you more if you look dirty as well.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Albror wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:30 pm
Bluelabel wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm
Albror wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm Nothing wrong to be comfortable spending time on your own but its often easy to see if its by choice. Well dressed, clean, nice haircut, looks happy VS dirty, broken clothes, eyes of a rapist, piss-stains etc.

Got to be quite rare for single women to travel from west to Cambodia to meet men thus we dont see them.
Appearance's can decieve, looking poor isnt always a bad thing in asia especially is you dont like being pestered by beggers and book sellers
Not sure if i fully agree.

Dressing proper can signal that you are not the average tourist sucker. I always had the feeling that people give up on me much faster when im outside in jeans and a long sleeved shirt then shorts and tank-top. Dress respect-worthy and you will be given more respect. It can even save you some money as its in favor for you when you haggle on prices. Hookers will charge you more if you look dirty as well.
youre not far off the mark there mate :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

People want what they cant have.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic