American Steven Simonsen Jumps to his Death From 4th Story on Street 136 in Phnom Penh (Next to Spider-Man Bar)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American Steven Simonsen Jumps to his Death From 4th Story on Street 136 in Phnom Penh (Next to Spider-Man Bar)

Post by DaveG »

Very sad,
RIP fellow human being.

jsimonsen
Tourist
United States of America

Re: American Steven Simonsen Jumps to his Death From 4th Story on Street 136 in Phnom Penh (Next to Spider-Man Bar)

Post by jsimonsen »

Steven is my youngest brother. We are saddened at this terrible news.
jsimonsen
Tourist
United States of America

Post by jsimonsen »

Steven has struggled with depression all his life and substance abuse has gotten the upper hand on him off and on all these years. He loved to fish.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The rooms there have been getting worse and worse but hardly worth this. Antivirals are a wonder drug. I take one daily for Hep B. Now no symptoms and no signs of it on regular blood tests. But it’s still there. I pay $6.50 for two months supply. The real cost is about $600. How much in the US I wonder.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

jsimonsen wrote:Steven is my youngest brother. We are saddened at this terrible news.
So sorry for your loss, it’s absolutely awful to lose someone when they are overseas. :(
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

jsimonsen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 am Steven is my youngest brother. We are saddened at this terrible news.
I'm so sorry for your loss and it having been caught on video.
Your family is in my prayers
Still here, in country...
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

There are some things you don't need to say
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

jsimonsen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 am Steven has struggled with depression all his life and substance abuse has gotten the upper hand on him off and on all these years. He loved to fish.
I am so sorry about your brother. I know what it's like to lose people in Cambodia--I've lost several, as I lived there for years.

I hope that you can remember that he loved to fish, and think less of his sadness.

Depression and substance abuse have affected so many of us, and I can sure relate with how hard it must have gotten for Steven.

Please accept my sincere condolences. I have felt sad for Steven since I started following this thread.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

jsimonsen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 am Steven has struggled with depression all his life and substance abuse has gotten the upper hand on him off and on all these years. He loved to fish.
Deepest condolences to you and the rest of the family.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Just saw a video of it last night. Obviously a very sad story. But I've been wondering about it since, and I didn't even know him.

Don't know how long he was sitting on the ledge. But I can't help but believe the Khmer guy with him was absolutely no help. Absolutely the worst person to be there would be a Khmer. Who was he? A cleaner, bar staff? I didn't see any effort to discourage him from leaping, no preparations by anyone on the ground or elsewhere.

Are they all too busy with their cell phones recording the situation? Even this would seem to be some sort of encouragement, imo. Steven did not seem to be having any conversation with the Khmer guy. He even had his back to the Khmer guy. Why couldn't the guy have grabbed him and prevented him from leaping?

We've all seen how Khmer respond to serious injury. I'll refrain from saying what I suspect the Khmer guy was doing, since I don't know for sure. But having been around several other incidents here over the years gives me a pretty good clue.

Too bad someone with guts, a heart, and a brain couldn't have been there instead. Hell, maybe if a person had one of those, the crisis could have been averted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic