Bangkok

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Bangkok

Post by Queef »

I'm going to Bangkok for work next week for three days.

Any good rooftop bars/ Restaurants? regular bars (no girly bars)/ restaurants? Prices don't matter. Company pays for everything.

Anything I should know about Thailand? I've never been so I have absolutely no clue of what to expect.

Would you recommend learning the basics (hello, how are you, thank you, goodbye)? It helped me a lot in Myanmar. Just wondering if Thailand is the same way.

Thanks!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Bangkok

Post by ExPenhMan »

Better make damned sure your company has the right visa and work permit for you. In Thailand, you can't even freely volunteer in a charity endeavour without a work permit.

What part of Bangkok are you staying? I will bet though it's Sukhumvit, where you will find dozens of hotels and hundreds of restaurants, plus the BTS Skytrain runs overhead along Sukhumvit.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am Better make damned sure your company has the right visa and work permit for you. In Thailand, you can't even freely volunteer in a charity endeavour without a work permit.

What part of Bangkok are you staying? I will bet though it's Sukhumvit, where you will find dozens of hotels and hundreds of restaurants, plus the BTS Skytrain runs overhead along Sukhumvit.
I've been going to Thailand for a few days of work over 40 times the last few years, each and every time with nothing more than an exemption stamp in my passport. You can have meetings, sign contracts, etc etc without any question asked.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am Better make damned sure your company has the right visa and work permit for you. In Thailand, you can't even freely volunteer in a charity endeavour without a work permit.

Wait what? Can't I just go on a tourist visa? It's only for three days. My Cambodian coworkers don't need a visa and assured me that I was gonna be fine with a tourist visa.

I'm staying at the Compass Skyview Hotel. BTS Phrom Phong.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:51 am

I've been going to Thailand for a few days of work over 40 times the last few years, each and every time with nothing more than an exemption stamp in my passport. You can have meetings, sign contracts, etc etc without any question asked.
Yea that's what I thought. Homeboy scared me for a sec
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I'd guess you are correct about doing a quick and dirty job in Thailand. However, just FYI:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/386712 ... rk-permit/
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

Brewski on rooftop of the Radisson around Sukhumvit 25 or 27 is good.

Char on top of Indigo in Ploenchit also good.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

Its hard to say because places are opening and closing every other day.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

visit the Thermae Bar in sukumvit before soi 15
not roof top but basement LOL

although Legally u need a WP and correct visa to do any kind of work, no one really cares or checks for those flying in for a few days.
also 55 nations get a free 30 days visa exempt entry stamp
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 am visit the Thermae Bar in sukumvit before soi 15
That's a freelancer hooker bar and he said . . . no girlie bars
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic