Is this guy a Friend or Foe?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Is this guy a Friend or Foe?

Post by Doc67 »

This guy has taken a liking to my tomato plant project. At the moment he is boring a hole in the bamboo cane. All day, for two days in row. Is he a pest or a pollinator? Sorry the picture is not better, but that's as close as I am prepared to get to him. He doesn't float about in the air like a bee; they usually fly like they are a bit drunk. When this guy hovers it is with Apache Helicoptor precision and he is fast.

Has anybody got any clues what he is, what he is up to (laying a few thousand eggs by my back door?) and whether he will do a bit of pollinating in between his drilling operations?

As always, many thanks in advance...

Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: Is this guy a Friend or Foe?

Post by Stinkman »

Don't know of many insects who eat tomato plants. Many eat tomatoes, sure, but not the plant which I believe has toxins as a deterrent.

Looks like it's really doing a number on that cane. Just curious why you would use sugar cane there instead of bamboo? Is it meant to be a trellis for climbing plants or something? Cane has got to be a massive lure for many unsavory critters. I hope the monkeys don't make it out your way.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

They just build a nest in the bamboo and as far as i am aware are no threat to tomatos.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Stinkman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:20 am Don't know of many insects who eat tomato plants. Many eat tomatoes, sure, but not the plant which I believe has toxins as a deterrent.

Looks like it's really doing a number on that cane. Just curious why you would use sugar cane there instead of bamboo? Is it meant to be a trellis for climbing plants or something? Cane has got to be a massive lure for many unsavory critters. I hope the monkeys don't make it out your way.
Hmmm, I think there are bamboo, they are very dry and hard. They are just for supporting the plants. Monkeys? I hope you're joking...
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

It is a Wood Bee. Very friendly and curious. Will hover in front of your face for a good look and then zip away.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Old8404 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am It is a Wood Bee. Very friendly and curious. Will hover in front of your face for a good look and then zip away.
I didn't know the name but we have them on our outdoor porch. They look for holes in a table made of bamboo to nest in. Perfectly harmless, never stung once in a period of fifteen years.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Old8404 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am It is a Wood Bee. Very friendly and curious. Will hover in front of your face for a good look and then zip away.
A bee??? Hmmm, maybe he'll do a bit of pollinating for me.

Thanks everyone....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic