Two Mine Clearers Killed Instantly in Mine Explosion

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Two Mine Clearers Killed Instantly in Mine Explosion

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:03 am
explorer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:40 am They could send cows in first. Let the cows graze the area before humans go in.

When one explodes, let the villagers have the meat.
Cows are expensive and aren't heavy enough to set off an anti-tank mine that might be buried deep. And nobody wants to eat meat that's full of shrapnel and toxic propellants.

And how many times have you had a cow stand on your toes in the cowshed. Let me tell you,,,, when a 200 kg cow puts one quarter of it's weight through it's hoof onto
a few square inches of your foot ,,,, They are bloody heavy .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Two Mine Clearers Killed Instantly in Mine Explosion

Post by Duncan »

I spotted this on KI-Media

District police chief In Kay said the villagers had collectively hired Hok Rachhan, 18, Mao Kamsot, 22, and Tem Bunthim, 49, to detonate land mines at a plantation in Sen Sam village.

They have been in the business for more than 10 years as the locals know it, he said.

“The villagers trusted them, therefore, they were hired to do the work. The ground used to be a fighting area, containing a lot of unexploded ordnances [UXOs]. Some experts have come to demine the ground five times already,” he said.

Kay said the authorities have “educated the locals about the dangers of the UXOs and warned them not to clear the bombs by themselves”.

He said the trio were taking a break on the very spot where Rachhan detected an anti-tank mine underneath them.

Without realising how deep the UXO was buried, Rachhan dug the ground with a hoe, while Kamsot boiled water for tea and Bunthim walked away from the site to look for his snare.

As he kept digging, Rachhan’s hoe eventually hit and detonated the mine, killing him and Kamsot on the spot. Bunthim who was away escaped unscathed.

Aware of the accident, Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana said his team members plan to visit the explosion site and examine the case on Friday, regarding it as “one of the biggest issues”.

“The men were not demining experts, they never got any training. They only knew how to clear mines from observing other people, but they still risked their lives."

“They did not possess a licence nor did they have the expertise to carry out mine clearance, thus they did their work illegally,” he said.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic