Two Mine Clearers Killed Instantly in Mine Explosion

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two Mine Clearers Killed Instantly in Mine Explosion

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Oddar Meanchey, Cambodia News: On March 14, 2019, two men out of a team of three deminers were killed in a mine explosion in Sre Yom village, Ohsvay commune, Tropeang Prasath district, Oddar Meanchey.

The victims were identified as two young men, Hong Rachan, only 18 years old, and Mao Kamsot, 22-years-old. The two youths were killed instantly at the scene, and the other team member, Tem Buntim, 49-years-old, survived because he was further away from the detonated explosive. The three men were clearing the bush of UXOs near Sre Yom village.

The police went to the scene to collect the pieces of the victims' body and returned them to their families. RIP.

Warning: Photos of the deceased men.
Spoiler:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Two Mine Clearers Killed Instantly in Mine Explosion

Post by Duncan »

Is it only me that thinks 18 year olds and 22 year olds are too young to be doing this type of job,,, no mater how much training they get. I compare it to giving someone of that age a high powered motobike and it does not matter how many years of riding a Daeliam they have had. Inexperience, inpatient, a bit reckless and probably not caring about what their long term future will be.
If someone was more mature with wife and kids and doing this type of job, I bet they would not be taking any risks at all.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Tragic. RIP

I gather these are not used universally all over the country..

TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Strange how the poor kids were blown up yet the two mine detectors are undamaged.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

FFs that's not anti personnel, look at the size of the crater, it's anti tank or something like a TM-46 mine, you don't just activate these by walking on them.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus says in the original article calls them kids or teenagers and that they were untrained.

Maybe they were trying to defuse the anti tank mine vs. just putting a packet charge next to it and blowing it up?

Anyways RIP to them and condolences to their families.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

They could send cows in first. Let the cows graze the area before humans go in.

When one explodes, let the villagers have the meat.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Awful tragedy. But it does appear that the elder of the three hung back. This has to be questioned.

Then again, is it any different to a Western country deliberate sending young, naive, eager for action soldiers into a war zone while the elder commanders take a step back on the pretense of overseeing the operation?

RIP to those killed and condolences to the friends and family left behind.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:40 am They could send cows in first. Let the cows graze the area before humans go in.

When one explodes, let the villagers have the meat.
Cows are expensive and aren't heavy enough to set off an anti-tank mine that might be buried deep. And nobody wants to eat meat that's full of shrapnel and toxic propellants.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Cows are also considered somewhat sacred. The queen forbid tourists from blowing them up with RPGs and shut down all the roadside stalls that featured whole cows on a bbq spit.

Now it’s just whole goats on a spit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic