Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Handyman
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Handyman »

Hi
My first post so a good place to start. I'm retired engineer from the UK, and have been living in Thailand for the past nine years. I'm married to a lovely Thai woman and really enjoy the Asian way of life. I'm quite a successful author and have had eight books published to date, mainly humour, although my best seller was my first dip into writing a thriler. Iv'e joined this forum as I would like to find out as much as possible about living in Cambodia. I'm coming for a short holiday/fact finding mission at the end of this month to Siam Reap. Now I know this may not be the first choice for many. However, to start with i want to make the journey back and forth to Thailand for my wife as easy as possible. Things in Thailand seem to be changing, lots of rumours regarding tightening up on the retirement visa requirements, which will make it financially very demanding. Also it looks like they're heading towards compulsory health insurance which for a retiree is going to be very expensive. It wasn't in my plan to leave Thailand, and hopefully it won't come to that, but I think it's best to make a fall back position. So any advice, tips on what to look out for and what to avoid will be greatly appreciated. If I make the move I will be looking to rent a condo. Thanks for the nice welcome to the forum and I hope to become a regular contributor.
Regards, Trevor
Tiger_J
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Tiger_J »

Hi. James here. First time in Cambodia. Great Place.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm thinking along the lines that as some member have not got, or dont know how to give themselves avatars , the mods should give a member one or a choice of several . I mean everyone likes to get a surprise present for free dont they.
Freightdogs avatar was a good recent example and I think it looks great.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Rockderk
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Rockderk »

Hi. Escaped from Thailand 2016 when General Halfwit took over.. Regular visitor to Cambo via Ko Kong. Enjoying food and varieties of beer in UK after 16 years of about 5 choices.
undertheradar
Tourist

Post by undertheradar »

I like beer too. What's that old song: Wine, women and song... or something like that.
undertheradar
Tourist

Post by undertheradar »

Rockderk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:33 am Hi. Escaped from Thailand 2016 when General Halfwit took over.. Regular visitor to Cambo via Ko Kong. Enjoying food and varieties of beer in UK after 16 years of about 5 choices.
I'm another refugee from Thailand, left in 2012 after this Nazi **** in Jomtien immigration created hurdles for me to jump over. **** 'em!
Scousio
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Scousio »

Hi Guys,

My wife and I (55 & 42) from Liverpool UK, are planning to relocate to Cambodia in November, we both have Tefl certificates and initially plan to teach English, however our long term plan is to work for ourselves in a business, we have travelled extensively around Asia but only on holidays 3-4 weeks at a time, we need to relocate because the way things are back home, Brexit, Government taking the proverbial we both feel a fresh start is needed.
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

We arrived to Phnom Penh with my fiancee two weeks ago without much preparation or information about the country. I am 35 and she is 30. Within two weeks we rented a superb condo at cheap price, bought a motorbike, opened bank accounts, got phone contracts and found (very low paid) jobs. We plan to stay here long term. We are still discovering the country and things seem easy, but a bit scary. One a bit surprising for us sight is the amount very old caucasian gentlemen present in Cambodia, often with young Khmer girls. But there are virtually no older expat ladies visible. I guess we will get used to that.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mr.November wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:34 pm We arrived to Phnom Penh with my fiancee two weeks ago without much preparation or information about the country. I am 35 and she is 30. Within two weeks we rented a superb condo at cheap price, bought a motorbike, opened bank accounts, got phone contracts and found (very low paid) jobs. We plan to stay here long term. We are still discovering the country and things seem easy, but a bit scary. One a bit surprising for us sight is the amount very old caucasian gentlemen present in Cambodia, often with young Khmer girls. But there are virtually no older expat ladies visible. I guess we will get used to that.

The reason is most older gentlemen don't bring their mothers with them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
WilliamGrace
Tourist
Canada

Post by WilliamGrace »

Hello everyone,

Thank you for allowing me to join.

A little about me.

I am 52, I looking to move to Asia, for the weather and to be close to friends I have in Mongolia and Thailand.

I have worked in Mongolia as a teacher, but I have been in the IT industry for 30 years.

I cam relocate at my own expense and setup, but I would love to actually have a job and work, life is nothing without something to do.

Any help will be gratefully received.
Looking to move to Cambodia
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic