Cambodia Sexual Health

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Cambodia Sexual Health

Post by cptrelentless »

Kampoochie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm
Kampoochie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 pm
Kampoochie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:39 am "Bauk" or gangrape is a somewhat uniquely Cambodian problem. Other countries like Papua New Guinea have very high rates but Cambodia is alone in SE Asia with its astronomically high rates. Google the UN report on it, I think something like 1 in 5 men freely admit to participating in at least one instance of bauk.
Re: Bauk. I have seen some reference to this before, in passing, but am not well aware of it. Where can I learn more?
https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-09-13/ ... -gang-rape gives you an overview.

https://universelles.net/2017/07/25/bau ... odian-men/ is also useful, and an important note to the statistic above I pulled out off the top of my head — maybe around 4, 5% of men have engaged in bauk, which is still very high, but "It is important to note that even if gang rape is one of the most horrific crimes against women, rape is far more frequent in a marriage or a partnership: 21% of Cambodian men admit to having committed it."
It wasn't all that long ago and even western men didn't understand how rape inside of marriage could even exist. Women didn't think they could really say no either, so they just suffered through it. When I ponder these facts, I wonder how a Cambodian man could admit to a concept they don't maybe even understand?

On the gang rape thing, who is generally the victim? I have heard where one man would secure the willing services of a sex worker who shows up unwittingly to the eventual gang bang, but once it begins, the line forms for the tag team. Is this the most likely scenario, or is it an actual accosting an innocent girl, club her and drag her to the bushes kind of rape?

I asked the missus if she knows any girls that have been raped, or if she has even heard of this Bauk, and she said no to both.
Those are all really good questions. I think by the nature of the crime, it's hard to get solid data on what's truly happening. The victims may try to save some degree of face by altering the stories.
9 out of ten people enjoy gang rape. FACT! Not really sure where rape within the confines of marriage in Western culture was ok in the last 100 years, maybe @RickyBobby is from the country.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia Sexual Health

Post by Kampoochie »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 am
Kampoochie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm
Kampoochie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 pm
Re: Bauk. I have seen some reference to this before, in passing, but am not well aware of it. Where can I learn more?
https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-09-13/ ... -gang-rape gives you an overview.

https://universelles.net/2017/07/25/bau ... odian-men/ is also useful, and an important note to the statistic above I pulled out off the top of my head — maybe around 4, 5% of men have engaged in bauk, which is still very high, but "It is important to note that even if gang rape is one of the most horrific crimes against women, rape is far more frequent in a marriage or a partnership: 21% of Cambodian men admit to having committed it."
It wasn't all that long ago and even western men didn't understand how rape inside of marriage could even exist. Women didn't think they could really say no either, so they just suffered through it. When I ponder these facts, I wonder how a Cambodian man could admit to a concept they don't maybe even understand?

On the gang rape thing, who is generally the victim? I have heard where one man would secure the willing services of a sex worker who shows up unwittingly to the eventual gang bang, but once it begins, the line forms for the tag team. Is this the most likely scenario, or is it an actual accosting an innocent girl, club her and drag her to the bushes kind of rape?

I asked the missus if she knows any girls that have been raped, or if she has even heard of this Bauk, and she said no to both.
Those are all really good questions. I think by the nature of the crime, it's hard to get solid data on what's truly happening. The victims may try to save some degree of face by altering the stories.
9 out of ten people enjoy gang rape. FACT! Not really sure where rape within the confines of marriage in Western culture was ok in the last 100 years, maybe @RickyBobby is from the country.
In the US, marital rape laws started changing in the 70s and they were only extended in one form or another to all 50 states by 1993: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital_r ... tates_law)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic