How is your memory.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: How is your memory.

Post by TOG »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 am Image
The name I get called is meurtrier because I deliberately speak with an English accent. Just love winding the French up.

I do admire anyone who can actually speak/write and think in a foreign language.......wife excluded. When I ask her what language she thinks or dreams in she just looks at me and say's "I have no idea".

I am a little concerned about learning enough Khmer to get by on as I tend to jumble up my languages. When I was living in France, I had no problem understanding them and they found it easier (on their ears) if I replied in English. Saved my brain one hell of a headache.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm i think its one reason why i enjoy studying Khmer/Thai language, its like training my memory, been picking up Thai pretty quick actually, i feel if i wasnt doing this studying though my brain would turn into a potato.
True

If you exercise the brain it works better than if you dont exercise it.

When learning a language, the ability to remember new words gets easier.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

TOG wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 am Image
The name I get called is meurtrier because I deliberately speak with an English accent. Just love winding the French up.

I do admire anyone who can actually speak/write and think in a foreign language.......wife excluded. When I ask her what language she thinks or dreams in she just looks at me and say's "I have no idea".

I am a little concerned about learning enough Khmer to get by on as I tend to jumble up my languages. When I was living in France, I had no problem understanding them and they found it easier (on their ears) if I replied in English. Saved my brain one hell of a headache.

That just reminded me about one of my girls ,,, who is 100 % Khmer ,, when she was about 5 years old she was having a bad dream and talking in her sleep, and all her words were in English but not understandable.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:16 amThat just reminded me about one of my girls ,,, who is 100 % Khmer ,, when she was about 5 years old she was having a bad dream and talking in her sleep, and all her words were in English but not understandable.
The wife is also 100% Khmer, but we discussed this years ago and she confirmed that she also now dreams in English & has done for years - obviously as a kid before she learned English her dreams were in Khmer, but she can't recall the last time she dreamed in Khmer - even her Khmer relatives who don't speak a word of English, in her dreams speak English in their own voice! #dafuq
:unknown:

Back on topic, my memory is damn good, wrong side of 40 which isn't as old as some of the codgers on this forum, but I can recall events as far back as play school at 2 years old as my earliest memory. One thing particularly that triggers very old memories is scents and smells.

I'm sure I read somewhere that anyone claiming to remember such old memories is really just having their brain piece together something that matches the "memory" and isn't actually all that clear or possibly even real. But I can tell you right now that I recall deliberately kicking another kid in the shins, right down to the reason I did it, precisely what he was wearing & his face clearly - if I was any good at drawing I could replicate it; I'd be 3 years old for that memory.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
UTDTID
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by UTDTID »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm
Chamboy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:21 pm the past few years ive seen a noticeable change in my brain functioning due to the effects of CTE (dementia pugilistica) from boxing/kickboxing, one of the effects is memory loss, probably the most annoying/frustrating is having to constantly write reminders in my phone now if i need to do/remember something, because if i dont, ill end up forgetting
another thing that ive noticed thats started happening a lot more recently is forgetting people, whether it be people coming up to me who i feel ive never met before, but they know me, or sometimes i bump into people that i recognise/feel like i know, but no idea where from, and im left with that horrible de ja vu feeling trying to rack my brain to little effect

i think i find it more frustrating because i used to pride myself of having a 'memory like an elephant' but now i cant trust myself at all, and the worst thing is im only 31!! :BangHead:
Too many head blocks and too much roper doper.
Rope-a-dope ;-)
The rope-a-dope is performed by a boxer assuming a protected stance (in Ali's classic pose, lying against the ropes, which allows much of the punch's energy to be absorbed by the ropes' elasticity rather than the boxer's body). The boxer keeps his or her guard up and is prepared for the incoming blows while looking for opportunities to counter punch his or her opponent, who by mounting an offensive may have left himself or herself open to counters. By being in a defensive posture and being prepared for the incoming blows, the boxer decreases his or her chances of being caught with a clean flush blow, as ideally a significant portion of the punches will land on the boxer's hands and arms, or will miss completely as a result of the boxer slipping the punch. Additionally, if the opponent lacks stamina, his or her power will decrease throughout the fight as he or she loses energy, and essentially "wastes" many punches into the boxer's guard.

However, a boxer employing this tactic must have a great chin and great ability to withstand punishment to be able to withstand the punches that do get through the boxer's defenses and land. Offensively, the boxer employing this tactic will look to exploit mistakes made in his or her opponent's attack by countering if the opponent has left himself or herself open. He or she will also look to mount short bursts of offensive attacks in between his or her opponent's attack, being sure to immediately get back in their defensive posture as to not leave himself or herself open to a counter attack. Despite the name, the boxer does not have to be against the ropes in order to rope-a-dope the opponent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope-a-dope

Highlights of an old amateur fight where i use the above rope-a-dope tactics, i was ranked #1 at Super-lightweight and stepped up to fight #2 at Welterweight, twas a fun fight
Good fight that. Nice double left hook. Is it Dan Hardy doing commentary.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

explorer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:42 am True

Unfortunately from the age of around 20, the human brain looses about one gram of mass per year.

This is why the majority of people go a little ga ga as they get older.

For me, as I probably am on my reserve tank I concentrate on what brings pleasure. Brain stimulation in the way of mathematics is my favourite (mad eh?). Nothing better than reading a good financial business plan or programming in low level languages.

I spent 5 years studying Latin and French at school and 2 years living and working in Paris. I still cannot think in any other language other than English and despite having had conjugation of verbs beaten into me with the cane at school, still cannot differentiate between past, present and future tenses. I can however hold my own in a restaurant or bar, ask directions and swear with the best of them. Just incapable of being fluent.

When it comes to languages, some people are gifted and some are simply English (or American).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TOG wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:42 am True

Unfortunately from the age of around 20, the human brain looses about one gram of mass per year.

This is why the majority of people go a little ga ga as they get older.

For me, as I probably am on my reserve tank I concentrate on what brings pleasure. Brain stimulation in the way of mathematics is my favourite (mad eh?). Nothing better than reading a good financial business plan or programming in low level languages.

I spent 5 years studying Latin and French at school and 2 years living and working in Paris. I still cannot think in any other language other than English and despite having had conjugation of verbs beaten into me with the cane at school, still cannot differentiate between past, present and future tenses. I can however hold my own in a restaurant or bar, ask directions and swear with the best of them. Just incapable of being fluent.

When it comes to languages, some people are gifted and some are simply English (or American).
I was told by a neurologist brain exercise works, but in order to make it work you'd have to focus on parts of the brain you usually don't use that much.

Just like regular exercise. Let's say you walk 6 km every day, adding another km won't change much, but swimming another 400 m gives better results.

In your case, liking math / programming, you probably need to focus a bit on painting, playing music, drawing, coloring, that kind of stuff. Just like me.... I never really got it off.....
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 pm you probably need to focus a bit on painting, playing music, drawing, coloring, that kind of stuff. Just like me.... I never really got it off.....
Why don't you just shoot me in the head and throw my body in the gutter.......Painting, playing music, drawing or colouring? WTF

Nope, I will stick to my downhill ways. Today is fire up the lawn tractor, cut the grass, finish painting (Yeh....painting) the wheel arch on my old Jag and then sitting back and watching a few more episodes of The Walking dead.

Must be great to be a Zombie.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

My memory is selectively photogenic. For example I remember every embarrassing post you've written online but I don't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning.

I remember every ABA e-cash code I've used the past month but I can't remember the PIN for my credit card.

I am immune to remembering my parents' birthdays. Every year I tell myself this is the last time, and then I forget it again.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

One thing I can do to improve my brain is to stop trying to explain to a certain member that I voted to remain in the EU but believe in democracy which is why I back the leave decision. It's doing my grey cells in and I want to save them for watching the Walking Dead.

I take it fax you are not married. Try forgetting your wife's birthday, I did that some thirty years ago and have never been allowed to forget it. Mine don't matter, just hers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic