Police Crack Down on Foreigners on Rental Motorbikes in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Police Crack Down on Foreigners on Rental Motorbikes in Siem Reap

Post by RickyBobby »

'Our' Moto was purchased new by me and is registered in my name. I do not always have a rental residence and my visits are of varying duration. I do not work here and have no work permit or retirement visa. Since I have committed to wearing my helmet and have figured out how to drive and when to not use my lights, I never get pulled over anymore. But, I wonder what would happen if I did get pulled over in SR? Would there be any issue? I also wonder about my drivers licence. I just have a regular one, not an international one, or a Cambodian one.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

You get pulled over, just smile and ask what you've done wrong. They'll tell you and tell you how much you owe. Usually 25,000 riel for a variety of infractions (like wrong turn, wrong way, etc) for foreigners (note that for locals its usually a buck or two and if they claim they have no money then they just have to wait for a while and then told to get going - I do believe that for a short period they were trying to enforce helmets and the fine for locals was a it more but that only lasted for about a week).

If you don't have anything beyond a tourist visa then I'd expect if you get pulled over you'll be fined regardless of ownership. They will say tourists can't drive motos in Siem Reap. Perhaps if you speak fluent Khmer you could explain but otherwise you'll pay.

Personally, as long as they aren't asking for more than 10 bucks I wouldn't even bother. I've seen them set up by the bridge going into town on rt 6 (by the circle) and on the road heading out to Angkor Wat. Occasionally, they set up in Sala Komreuk and sometimes by the circle by the Hard Rock. I'm sure there are other favorite places but those are the ones I'm familiar with. Rarely after 5pm (though Tuesday evening around 10pm they were at the circle pulling motos over which surprised me)
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

TWY wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 pm You get pulled over, just smile and ask what you've done wrong. They'll tell you and tell you how much you owe. Usually 25,000 riel for a variety of infractions (like wrong turn, wrong way, etc) for foreigners (note that for locals its usually a buck or two and if they claim they have no money then they just have to wait for a while and then told to get going - I do believe that for a short period they were trying to enforce helmets and the fine for locals was a it more but that only lasted for about a week).

If you don't have anything beyond a tourist visa then I'd expect if you get pulled over you'll be fined regardless of ownership. They will say tourists can't drive motos in Siem Reap. Perhaps if you speak fluent Khmer you could explain but otherwise you'll pay.

Personally, as long as they aren't asking for more than 10 bucks I wouldn't even bother. I've seen them set up by the bridge going into town on rt 6 (by the circle) and on the road heading out to Angkor Wat. Occasionally, they set up in Sala Komreuk and sometimes by the circle by the Hard Rock. I'm sure there are other favorite places but those are the ones I'm familiar with. Rarely after 5pm (though Tuesday evening around 10pm they were at the circle pulling motos over which surprised me)
The first time I ever got pulled over was in SNV in 2014, for headlight on My lady was a good negotiator and I only paid a few dollars but they began asking for more. There was a question about the Drivers Licence, but she said I have it but its at home. The conversation was lengthy. We got a receipt.

A few more times I got a no helmet ticket in SR, and it was only a few bucks, and ends up being kind of like a permit to drive without a helmet for a day, because if you get pulled over again, you can just show that ticket you got already, haha.

Since I wear a helmet and seem to know what I am doing now, I never seem to get pulled over anymore. I am surprised to hear that you think $10 is acceptable. I am rarely driving alone, and she would never settle for that.

I feel pretty confident that if I was to show the ownership and my drivers licence it would be totally cool, but one can never be certain. I think if I am visiting and staying in a hotel, I wouldn't say that, I would just give her family residence homestead as my own.

I love that my lady is good with money, and frugal. The other day we were discussing my monthly Netflix membership, and the difference of 2 dollars a month, which she thought was worthy to save. That's cool to me.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From what is said here, some expats in Siem Reap have been using their EB visa extension to rent motorbikes and then rent them on to tourists.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic