Fake $100 bills from ATM. Urban myth or reality.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Fake $100 bills from ATM. Urban myth or reality.

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:33 pm Isn't there an ATM camera recording each access? Albeit if so, depending on how he grabbed the notes, it may not be clear whether they are fake..
Jesus, at this rate, soon we'll all have to hold up each bill to the camera so it can see the serial numbers. :evil:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:33 pm Isn't there an ATM camera recording each access? Albeit if so, depending on how he grabbed the notes, it may not be clear whether they are fake..
Jesus, at this rate, soon we'll all have to hold up each bill to the camera so it can see the serial numbers. :evil:
True dat but this guy claims he received ones clearly marked 'Copy'...I would think that at least is something the camera might see.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kevin168 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:39 pm After all this, I still believe this is not fake news. Scambodia is the very right place for this shit to happen. I just think ABA uses their power and money vs one poor dude for some fake bills from an ATM. And we all know poor dude have no chance to win no matter this real or fake.
Why did he wait 18 days though? I guess it depends on how much he took out to consider how reasonable it would be to not notice for soo long.

Did he pull out a grand? Maybe he pulls the entirety of his monthly Social Security pension at one go and sticks it in his bedside dresser.

Maybe then I could believe that it took so long to notice. Maybe
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If you live here for any length of time it is a natural check you do any time you get money from an ATM or over the counter at a bank. Certainly you do in a bar for all notes
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Arget wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm If you live here for any length of time it is a natural check you do any time you get money from an ATM or over the counter at a bank. Certainly you do in a bar for all notes
Sure, mostly. But don't you ever get lulled into a sense of complacency? I know I do.

I can't remember the last time I stopped at the ATM and went through each bill feeling the texture and scanning them for defects.

When I get change from a business though I do tend to check the larger bills.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Yep. I only get a couple of hundred from ATMs and go to the bank for larger amounts. After I received a couple of old notes that nowhere would accept from a business a few years ago I got into the habit of checking. Yesterday I changed $1100 to $10 and $20
and stood at the counter and checked them all. The sign at ANZ says to check before you leave the counter so I did.
Kevin168
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kevin168 »

I personally withdraw atm more than 10+ times with the amount 2-3k, I wouldn't count the money or checking one by one right after the withdraw...just don't feel safe at all...
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Kevin168 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm I personally withdraw atm more than 10+ times with the amount 2-3k, I wouldn't count the money or checking one by one right after the withdraw...just don't feel safe at all...
Depends on where and when you withdraw.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:20 pm Image
We'll see if this guy ends up having to make a groveling apology to ANZ like the other guy had to do to ABA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic