Work Permit - Medical Certificate tip

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Work Permit - Medical Certificate tip

Post by StroppyChops »

Word of unsolicited advice - if you've not yet got your "fitness certificate" from Ministry of Labour for your Work Permit application, take your old one with you. The aunties at the foreigner desk seem to really appreciate it and it speeds the process from their end. Also, don't forget it takes up to two weeks to process the medical certificate (mine, today, is dated for pickup on 25 March) and the end-date for WP applications online is March 31 unless it gets extended again (and again, and again). So if you want to avoid any potential circus, you've only got a few days to get in for that checkup.

The medical certificate is 100,000r, and has to be riel.

For those outside of PP, sorry. Just the messenger.

The hundred or so Khmer getting their own papers enjoyed watching me get measured, and stroking the beard was once again a feature of the medical exam. The world's smallest blood sample will be taken using a new lancet (not an IV kit) which doesn't hurt. I'm not crying, you're crying. Whut?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Work Permit - Medical Certificate tip

Post by Element6 »

I got my 2019 foreigner employment card this week. Did it early as a lot of travel planned.

Glad 5o hear they are not cutting you with a blade any more
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I paid in dollars last time I went for one in December, and they've always used a lancet, except one time when they didn't bother taking a blood test. I thought it hurt a bit!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm I paid in dollars last time I went for one in December, and they've always used a lancet, except one time when they didn't bother taking a blood test. I thought it hurt a bit!
If you're a half-decent type the crew behind the payment counter will exchange money for you, on the 4,000:1 scale (so they make a little) but they're not supposed to. If you're an asshat (and I've watched this happen a few times) they will absolutely refuse to help you out.

You'll recall that in past years there were rumours circulating that "they" drew blood with re-used needles, and you could get your own doctor to do it. Yeah, a few people comment they don't get blood drawn, but I think the majority do.
Element6 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:57 pm Glad 5o hear they are not cutting you with a blade any more
:plus1: Or the rusty chainsaw.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Do they still do a thorough nasal examination? :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Element6 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:57 pm I got my 2019 foreigner employment card this week. Did it early as a lot of travel planned.

Glad 5o hear they are not cutting you with a blade any more
They cut me with it 2 weeks ago....
Still here, in country...
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

I thought this may help some people in locating the building once you are arrive to the Department of Labor entrance

A couple tips and photos.
Enter on the left side security entrance
It may be a good idea to drive or ask your transportation to drive all the way down the winding rode to the end. You will see
the Department of Occupational Safety and Health on your left hand side. You may see a lot of Khmer people outside and long lines. Dont worry just walk right in and they will direct you.....push you (literally right to the front of the line) Don't forget a copy of passport and two photos. They also take lunch breaks. Sometimes, they ask for a blood test and sometimes not. Its quite a simple and fast process. Paying 300$ is a waste of money through an agency that may also not provide accurate information (supporting documents). The forms are available at the desk. I did see a person from an agency walk in with a stack of at least 15 foreigner's paperwork and couldn't help but think...... 300$ X 15.......
Bob tailcat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bob tailcat »

Didn't need a medical for past 3 years just a tip.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

The lack of a rigorous medical examination before providing a work permit is a serious defect in the process of approval for employment in Cambodia.

In Taiwan, one needed to do a full medical and chest X-ray before being granted approval to work as a teacher...

Here in Cambodia there are one too many walking corpses who would never be allowed to work if they were asked to get a real medical...

Permitting such invalids to work deters and impinges on the work of others around them (especially when they take the frustration of their heart and lung disease out on their colleagues, sadly).

:oops:
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

orichá wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:45 am The lack of a rigorous medical examination before providing a work permit is a serious defect in the process of approval for employment in Cambodia.

In Taiwan, one needed to do a full medical and chest X-ray before being granted approval to work as a teacher...

Here in Cambodia there are one too many walking corpses who would never be allowed to work if they were asked to get a real medical...

Permitting such invalids to work deters and impinges on the work of others around them (especially when they take the frustration of their heart and lung disease out on their colleagues, sadly).

:oops:
Did something happen? A revival of such an old random thread suggests you just had some kind of experience on the topic.

Intriguing indeed.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic