Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Post by Brody »

Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

If you live alone like me, what's wrong if you sit alone on Riverside or other places?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

It could be worse. You could be sitting with a bloke that wants to point out all the guys sitting around without their shirts on.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm Good luck with the melanomas.
We're all gonna die, brother!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Europeans like to sit outside at cafes, beer gardens, etc, for hours and just watch the world flow by.

What’s creepy about going by yourself to little bar or cafe outside and watching the world flow by?

I like watching people pass by and peer into a little slice of their daily life.

Unfortunately I don’t get many chances.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:48 am Europeans like to sit outside at cafes, beer gardens, etc, for hours and just watch the world flow by.

What’s creepy about going by yourself to little bar or cafe outside and watching the world flow by?

I like watching people pass by and peer into a little slice of their daily life.

Unfortunately I don’t get many chances.
Firstly, being Cambodia not Europe, asians in general find it odd that you don't have a friend, partner or family sitting with you.

Secondly, if you're an older guy perving on the young nubile girls walking past, people will think you're creepy or even predatorial.

Thirdly, being Riverside with hostess bars around most corners, it tends to attract not only sex tourists but local freelancers plying their trade. So people might just put 2 and 2 together and make associated assumptions..

Of course if you're just on your phone or reading a book and minding your own business, nothing creepy about that at all :beer3:

PS probably already been covered earlier in this long thread anyway.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

I don't care what other people think, when I'm in P.P. I like to sit alone on Riverside.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brody wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm Image
i've sat and eaten alone on river side countless times, i dont need anyone to hold my hand or cut my food up for me, can manage myself

its not creepy to sit alone outside a riverside bar/restaurant, just because you get the odd creep down there, in most circumstances i dont think its creepy to sit alone anywhere, sometimes its nice to be alone
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

"i've sat and eaten alone on river side countless times, i dont need anyone to hold my hand or cut my food up for me, can manage myself."

Fine until the dementia gets so bad that your hand can't find the fork, much less the mouth.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Chamboy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm "i've sat and eaten alone on river side countless times, i dont need anyone to hold my hand or cut my food up for me, can manage myself."

Fine until the dementia gets so bad that your hand can't find the fork, much less the mouth.
i struggle already :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic