Do any banks accept foreign cheques?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Do any banks accept foreign cheques?

Post by explorer »

BKK Phil wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:27 pm Pray tell! I am about to arrive in Phnom Penh and open my own direct-deposit account in three weeks' time. Which local bank gave you that IDD bank account and what were their requirements from you to open the account?
Have them deposited into a bank account in your home country. Then you can withdraw in other countries with an ATM card.

If you have money sent to a Cambodian bank account, the fees are excessive.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I haven't used the ATM cards from my home country for ages. The fee back home is about EUR 7 per withdrawal, the local fee 5-12 USD (Thailand THB 18-220) and the rate I get sucks. Withdrawal limit from my bank back home is just 500 EUR as well, so total fees end up being 3-4% besides the bad exchange rate.

These days I bring cash USD and change it as I please, or use my Creditcard for purchases. I Always rent a room with a safe though.
jefjef
Tourist
Canada

Post by jefjef »

I feel we are getting slightly out of topic here, but concerning money international transfers, what I personally do it this:

There is an online company called ofx.com I used them many many times. The idea is that they have "local" accounts in various countries, so they can give you a great rate with very little fees. So I locally transfer say 10k from my canadian account to a canadian ofx account (you need first to register the transaction on the site, they give you a code for the transfer). Within 2 days, the money is sent to whichever account I want around the world. So in this case, I send it to my Canadia account here in PP. The total fee is about 50USD, and the exchange rate is better than what any bank offers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic