Do you have insurance?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
expatfamily
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Do you have insurance?

Post by expatfamily »

We have just signed up with Asia Insurance, has anyone made any claims with them before?
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

:newbie: For all those whose employers are not providing the coverage, I hope you don't have to make a claim. Insurance companies, especially those in Cambodia, are as bad as American police.

My suggestion would be to avoid the girly bars and alcohol, keep that money instead as a self- funded insurance reserve, and invest the time you're saving not going to those places in an exercise program, which could be every bit as effective as any insurance policy.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Tarndog wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:54 pm :newbie: For all those whose employers are not providing the coverage, I hope you don't have to make a claim. Insurance companies, especially those in Cambodia, are as bad as American police.

My suggestion would be to avoid the girly bars and alcohol, keep that money instead as a self- funded insurance reserve, and invest the time you're saving not going to those places in an exercise program, which could be every bit as effective as any insurance policy.
Good luck with that one :lol:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Tarndog wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:54 pm :newbie: For all those whose employers are not providing the coverage, I hope you don't have to make a claim. Insurance companies, especially those in Cambodia, are as bad as American police.

another post that makes me misty over the loss of the negative karma button :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Infinity Insurance here:
insuring 2 houses and 1 car since 4 years. Only had to make a (small) claim once recently. Was handled without problems.. Recommended.
just noise, white noise
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Yep got insurance. Costs me about 30 bucks a month through erv.se (they do operate in 20 different countries and you needto have a adress there)

Recently i had to be put in emergency room in Bangkok for a few hours that cost me 720 bucks and i got 620 back on insurance so basically i earned back the coming 2 year of insurance costs. And then it was just a small bill anyway.

Just have to make sure you have a good company. My insurance was actually invalid as i had forgot to renew it in time for my last departure and then you have to sign in through customer-support instead of the automatic signing on the web-page. But they payed me out anyway and asked me to get a new insurance wish i did and they did refund the money from my invalid one.

Good company with good service.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Only 4 nights I spent in hospital were in Cambodia. The insurance bill was almost 2K, of which the insurance paid. I was glad to have it, even though it would not have wiped me out, but it could have been worse. (also apparently, if you do not have insurance, you can negotiate the bill down)

So far, I have done it all with travel insurance because I am in and out constantly. It's still expensive enough, but for peace of mind, its worth it.

When I book my lady and I trips abroad together, I also get her travel insurance. Again, peace of mind, and I want her to also have the best.

A couple of months ago, I wiped out the motor in Banlung, while traversing a very crazy road to get to Seven Steps Waterfall. I was so concerned for her, she was ok; I am sure I cracked my rib, but something like that just needs to heal on its own and it is fine now. One never knows where and when we will need medical care.

One would hope that if we got sick, we could just go 'home' to be attended to. But its the emergency care that is the most costly, and can wipe us out.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic