Sihanoukville hotel suggestion

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sihanoukville hotel suggestion

Post by ozguyinshv »

Jlucas wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:56 am My girlfriend and I have booked a trip to Cambodia in may to be a part of my father's funeral 100 celebration and having a hard time with the hotel selection

I'd like to stay somewhere that isn't Chinese run .. or owned ..

We want to support the Khmer economy as much as possible during our visit including our accommodations

I'd like to spend about 100 a night so I think my options are fairly open however-
when I try and avoid all the Chinese establishments how does that effect my choices ?

My girlfriend suggested " the independence "
My sister suggested the "sunshine bay hotel"

Both suggestions are outside my preferred budget but I am fairly flexible if I cant come up with any help here

Thanks for any help you can provide

I believe sunshine bay is chinese owned?
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

If you stayed at Independence you would be supporting the wrong Khmer part of the economy.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Whatever happened to the Golden Sands Hotel?

Rooms were kept immaculately clean - even the cleaning lady was on her hands and knees with a towel scrubbing the floor shiny every day. Good breakfast buffet. Was about $50/night. 1 street from the beach.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 am Whatever happened to the Golden Sands Hotel?

Rooms were kept immaculately clean - even the cleaning lady was on her hands and knees with a towel scrubbing the floor shiny every day. Good breakfast buffet. Was about $50/night. 1 street from the beach.
Maybe it has been rebranded to 'the silver Dragon'?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

or heng heng double luck room all kind
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Sokha Hotel
Don't forget the water buffalo
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Where are you coming in from? Independence would still be a solid choice for most westerners, but even on my last trip is was getting overrun by spitting Chinese. #TheHorror. They have some new little Hobbit houses out the back that can be done on a tight budget, so you get a room/shower/semi-outdoor experience plus the benefits of the restaurants/beach/breakfast, etc.

For variety on food, a hidden nugget is still the restaurant right at the far end of Sokha Beach - drive past the main lobby, right down to the end, there's a great restaurant, indoor & outdoor with a view over the beach, decent food & at least a bit of an experience in what is now a horror show of a town, you have my sympathy.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic