Job opportunities - just arrived in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Simon_Miles
Expatriate

Job opportunities - just arrived in Phnom Penh

Post by Simon_Miles »

Hi all,

I've recently arrived in Phnom Penh and I'm looking for office work, and I wondered if anyone could help me out with some questions I have on the situation over here.

A lot of the jobs I've seen advertised specify that a degree is needed - is that genuinely the case, or will most companies be equally satisified as long as the relevant experience is there?

Are recruitment agencies the best option in the initial stages, and do they tend to assist with finding work for English speaking ex pats?

I'm a 33 year old male, and I recently finished working as an office and HR manager for 8 years at a large company in the UK, so I have quite a bit of experience.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated - in particular the situation as to not having a degree and how hard that makes matters.

Thanks,

Simon
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Job opportunities - just arrived in Phnom Penh

Post by Kammekor »

Simon_Miles wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 am Hi all,

I've recently arrived in Phnom Penh and I'm looking for office work, and I wondered if anyone could help me out with some questions I have on the situation over here.

A lot of the jobs I've seen advertised specify that a degree is needed - is that genuinely the case, or will most companies be equally satisified as long as the relevant experience is there?

Are recruitment agencies the best option in the initial stages, and do they tend to assist with finding work for English speaking ex pats?

I'm a 33 year old male, and I recently finished working as an office and HR manager for 8 years at a large company in the UK, so I have quite a bit of experience.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated - in particular the situation as to not having a degree and how hard that makes matters.

Thanks,

Simon
The degree will matter because most (if not all) of the locals you will compete with will have a degree, and probably will settle for a lower salary as well.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

in the p.i you would be a call centre shoe in & at your age be fighting the attention of lustful wannabes off with stick.
in cambo you would do better with a grasp of khmer.
thru shit to more shit
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Is there much demand for native English in the Philippines? Wouldn't mind moving over for a job running a call center or something.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

running a call centre?

with verifiable 8 years uk experience in large company as office & hr manager a call ctr could use that talent for upselling or other marketing operations.

the only way to know is to suck it & see
thru shit to more shit
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Can make a lot of money running sales call centers
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic