U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BKK Phil
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by BKK Phil »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm my ss (i live in Thailand) goes into my US Citibank account and once a year i wire money over
simple, easy
wouldn't want to use my atm card as the fees and exchange rates suck
wont change when i move over to Cambodia in 2020

Phil;how do u get ur SS now? Bangkok bank direct deposit?
OR
just keep it till ur Cambodian account is set up
phuketrichard:

Forgot to answer your one point about keeping my current Bangkok Bank account until either a new Cambo account is set up or until a DirectExpress Debit Card is issued.

Here's the problem:

The Bangkok Bank acc't set up to receive direct-deposit SSA payments must follow certain SSA rules including:

1. The bank is prohibited by the SSA from issuing an ATM/Debit card for that account. This insures that all payments are received by the beneficiary himself and in person at any one of their bank branches; and
2. The beneficiary must present his US passport every-time he makes a withdrawal from that account.

Hence, if I am in Cambo, I would have to literally re-enter Thailand (i.e. get a visa) and go to a Bangkok Bank branch (say in Aranyaprathet, Thailand near Poipet) to get my money each month. And then return to Cambo. That runs about $62. in visas fees alone. I suppose one could do that in extremis.

Concerning another option: From everything I've seen, the SSA paper check mailed to one's address in Cambo is clearly a non-starter, given the uncertainties, bank clearing time and bank fees. Also see Ravensnest's most recent post about US Postal service deliveries to Cambo. Absolutely appalling!

BKK Phil
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BKK Phil wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm my ss (i live in Thailand) goes into my US Citibank account and once a year i wire money over
simple, easy
wouldn't want to use my atm card as the fees and exchange rates suck
wont change when i move over to Cambodia in 2020

Phil;how do u get ur SS now? Bangkok bank direct deposit?
OR
just keep it till ur Cambodian account is set up
phuketrichard:

Forgot to answer your one point about keeping my current Bangkok Bank account until either a new Cambo account is set up or until a DirectExpress Debit Card is issued.

Here's the problem:

The Bangkok Bank acc't set up to receive direct-deposit SSA payments must follow certain SSA rules including:

1. The bank is prohibited by the SSA from issuing an ATM/Debit card for that account. This insures that all payments are received by the beneficiary himself and in person at any one of their bank branches; and
2. The beneficiary must present his US passport every-time he makes a withdrawal from that account.

Hence, if I am in Cambo, I would have to literally re-enter Thailand (i.e. get a visa) and go to a Bangkok Bank branch (say in Aranyaprathet, Thailand near Poipet) to get my money each month. And then return to Cambo. That runs about $62. in visas fees alone. I suppose one could do that in extremis.

Concerning another option: From everything I've seen, the SSA paper check mailed to one's address in Cambo is clearly a non-starter, given the uncertainties, bank clearing time and bank fees. Also see Ravensnest's most recent post about US Postal service deliveries to Cambo. Absolutely appalling!

BKK Phil
wow, never knew that..
forget snail mail to Cambodia.
wont SS just put ur $$ in and than u can get it whenever u wish?> so only need one trip to Arany
U can travel overland 2 x/year visa free with visa exempt, even so a visa is ONLY $40,no idea where u got $62.
or fly in visa free, dont need a visa
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BKK Phil
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BKK Phil »

phuketrichard:

I was assuming--erroneously, I guess--that I had to pay THB 1,000 to enter Thailand and $35. to return to Cambo.

Presumably Thai Immigration will also require to see THB 20,000 when entering Arany?

BKK Phil
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I may have missed this in one of the posts so I apologize if its redundant.

The Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® charges $3 plus 3% for foreign ATM cash withdrawals. That's on top of the fee you'll pay the local bank.

They also charge 3% for all foreign transactions (ie purchases).

The card is excellent for those within the USA that don't have access to a bank account, but I'd not recommend you rely on this if your living in Cambodia. Your giving up 3% of your income at a minimum.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Just one other thing I'd throw in.

Not to be morbid, but eventually we all die. SS is very stringent on retrieving money paid out to the deceased. You'll want to ensure that your family has all your banking and SS details. That way you can avoid the situation where you pass away but no one contacts SS for a month or two and then your children are faced with the situation where they have to try to retrieve money from a Cambodia bank.

I don't have any experience with this in terms of Cambodia specifically, but I know someone that had a similar setup in an African bank and it was a total disaster when two SS checks ended up being deposited post death. His son ended up reimbursing SS himself. IF I recall - you have to be alive for the entire month or you have to return that month's payment. So just do a little work now to avoid having your kids doing a lot of frustration later. My friend never got the money back from the bank - they "required" he appear in person to give a thumbprint or signature or something (this was 10-15 years ago) and it became obvious that even if he did show up he's fly back home with nothing.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

TWY wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:00 pm Just one other thing I'd throw in.

Not to be morbid, but eventually we all die. SS is very stringent on retrieving money paid out to the deceased. You'll want to ensure that your family has all your banking and SS details. That way you can avoid the situation where you pass away but no one contacts SS for a month or two and then your children are faced with the situation where they have to try to retrieve money from a Cambodia bank.

I don't have any experience with this in terms of Cambodia specifically, but I know someone that had a similar setup in an African bank and it was a total disaster when two SS checks ended up being deposited post death. His son ended up reimbursing SS himself. IF I recall - you have to be alive for the entire month or you have to return that month's payment. So just do a little work now to avoid having your kids doing a lot of frustration later. My friend never got the money back from the bank - they "required" he appear in person to give a thumbprint or signature or something (this was 10-15 years ago) and it became obvious that even if he did show up he's fly back home with nothing.
1st thing that happens when u die,
police are contacted, they visit where u died an take all atm cards, cc's an bank books and the embassy is contacted, ALL bank accounts/atm cards are placed on Hold
American embassy (not sure about others) contacts SS ( at least they say they do here in Thailand)

Advise to all
have
1. a living will
2. a real will made up and accessible to whoever you designate as your EXECUTOR
with specific info on $$ an bank info..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chodi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Chodi »

I've had my SSA money sent via direct deposit to my BBK Bank account in Thailand for 9 years. Never had any problem. Money arrives by wire transfer (FFT) like clockwork monthly. I am moving to Phnom Penh in September and contacted SSA in Manila about how to make the change to a Cambodian Bank (if it was even possible). I was surprised that the agent said recent changes have made it simple to have my money via direct deposit into a Cambodian bank same as I have experienced in Thailand. All that is necessary is the bank to sign a simple one page form listing their swift number and specific bank address along with my new account number. SSA sent me the form it could not be more simple. In light of the SSA agent saying this is a simple process to set up direct deposit in Cambodia to receive my SSA monthly transfer I see nothing in this thread to indicate that it is so simple?

Is it because these regulations have recently changed? I asked the SSA agent about the fact that it would be a regular savings account in Cambodia not the "Special" type Bangkok Bank account like I have been using in Thailand and the agent said no problem as they realized that was the only option available to me in Cambodia. Seems SSA really does not want to be dealing with paper checks any more than I do.

So, have I been misled by the SSA agent as to how simple this direct deposit account is to set up for Cambodia? I am new to this forum but I have been living in Asia for twenty years so I know things are not always as they seem. Any advice about this would be great. It is essential for me to be able to receive my SSA direct deposit in Cambodia or I may be changing my plans.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Chodi wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:17 am I've had my SSA money sent via direct deposit to my BBK Bank account in Thailand for 9 years. Never had any problem. Money arrives by wire transfer (FFT) like clockwork monthly. I am moving to Phnom Penh in September and contacted SSA in Manila about how to make the change to a Cambodian Bank (if it was even possible). I was surprised that the agent said recent changes have made it simple to have my money via direct deposit into a Cambodian bank same as I have experienced in Thailand. All that is necessary is the bank to sign a simple one page form listing their swift number and specific bank address along with my new account number. SSA sent me the form it could not be more simple. In light of the SSA agent saying this is a simple process to set up direct deposit in Cambodia to receive my SSA monthly transfer I see nothing in this thread to indicate that it is so simple?

Is it because these regulations have recently changed? I asked the SSA agent about the fact that it would be a regular savings account in Cambodia not the "Special" type Bangkok Bank account like I have been using in Thailand and the agent said no problem as they realized that was the only option available to me in Cambodia. Seems SSA really does not want to be dealing with paper checks any more than I do.

So, have I been misled by the SSA agent as to how simple this direct deposit account is to set up for Cambodia? I am new to this forum but I have been living in Asia for twenty years so I know things are not always as they seem. Any advice about this would be great. It is essential for me to be able to receive my SSA direct deposit in Cambodia or I may be changing my plans.
What Cambodia bank ?

Have you talked to that bank yet ?

How did they send you the form ? email or snail mail ? How do you have to send the replay from the bank back to SSA ?

My experience with SSA is that you can call again about the same thing and you will get a different answer each time.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Chodi
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Chodi »

I have been working with the same agent in Manila SSA on this for weeks. I wanted to leave no room for error. I contacted ABA bank in Phnom Penh first by chat and then by phone. They verified that I could open a normal savings account for this purpose and that someone in the bank would sign the form. I received the form from the SSA agent directly to my email. Having read this one page form it is only asking for the obvious information most of which I fill out. My name, my social security number, my address in Cambodia. The bank must list their branch address on the form along with their swift code and my account number. That's it, nothing more. The bank is not signing away their first born. They are only signing that it is an account of mine in their bank that will receive the payments. Once completed the form must be mailed (probably DHS for safety) back to the agent in Manila SSA. It can be addressed to the exact agent I have been working with on this to eliminate any confusion. They informed me not to close my old receiving account until this started to appear in my new Cambodian account. They said could take 2-3 months for the changeover. That is a bit inconvenient since I would have to return to Thailand to get my money out of the account once this process is finished. I can live with that.

I have been careful to deal only with the same agent in Manila every time. I have their name and their direct email for any further communication. I am a careful guy so I have verified this process step by step. That does not mean that something could not blow up in my face, but I have taken every possible precaution. I really don't understand the posts here that say it is so difficult or even in some cases impossible.

When I discussed this with ABA bank I chose them because they had received a good reputation on this and other forums. Also they are a big bank in Cambodia. I had no other reason for choosing them. I don't want to give the impression that SSA suggested ABA they did not. They left that open to my choice.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Chodi wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:18 pm I have been working with the same agent in Manila SSA on this for weeks. I wanted to leave no room for error. I contacted ABA bank in Phnom Penh first by chat and then by phone. They verified that I could open a normal savings account for this purpose and that someone in the bank would sign the form. I received the form from the SSA agent directly to my email. Having read this one page form it is only asking for the obvious information most of which I fill out. My name, my social security number, my address in Cambodia. The bank must list their branch address on the form along with their swift code and my account number. That's it, nothing more. The bank is not signing away their first born. They are only signing that it is an account of mine in their bank that will receive the payments. Once completed the form must be mailed (probably DHS for safety) back to the agent in Manila SSA. It can be addressed to the exact agent I have been working with on this to eliminate any confusion. They informed me not to close my old receiving account until this started to appear in my new Cambodian account. They said could take 2-3 months for the changeover. That is a bit inconvenient since I would have to return to Thailand to get my money out of the account once this process is finished. I can live with that.

I have been careful to deal only with the same agent in Manila every time. I have their name and their direct email for any further communication. I am a careful guy so I have verified this process step by step. That does not mean that something could not blow up in my face, but I have taken every possible precaution. I really don't understand the posts here that say it is so difficult or even in some cases impossible.

When I discussed this with ABA bank I chose them because they had received a good reputation on this and other forums. Also they are a big bank in Cambodia. I had no other reason for choosing them. I don't want to give the impression that SSA suggested ABA they did not. They left that open to my choice.
Thanks for replying.
This is good news and signals a change in the system.
Please keep us informed as you work your way through the process.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic