Where to Get Vaccinations in Siem Reap?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LearningKhmer221
Tourist

Where to Get Vaccinations in Siem Reap?

Post by LearningKhmer221 »

Hey folks.

I am currently in Siem Reap, and will be here for the next three weeks or so.

Soon afterwords I will be spending about a month in rural Mondulkiri doing research. I will be living with a local farming family during this time.

My doctor in America advised I get a Japanese Encephalitis vaccination for a stay this long in the more remote countryside. He told me that the vaccine would be cheaper and quicker (only one round) if I received it in Cambodia instead of in America. I thought this was a good idea... but have found myself a bit lost at where I should get the vaccine in Siem Reap.

Are there any clinics forum members can recommend? And how much should I expect to pay for the shot?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Where to Get Vaccinations in Siem Reap?

Post by TWY »

Our children are vaccinated at the Siem Reap Bangkok Hospital. They have a pharmacy there that (I believe) properly stores vaccines. I can't say I have a real high opinion of the doctors there but we get all our vaccines there.

Its out on route 6 going towards the airport.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

TWY wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:45 pm Our children are vaccinated at the Siem Reap Bangkok Hospital. They have a pharmacy there that (I believe) properly stores vaccines. I can't say I have a real high opinion of the doctors there but we get all our vaccines there.

Its out on route 6 going towards the airport.
I guess that is the Royal Angkor? It's OK but vastly overpriced.

Check with the Reak Smey Hospital, also on the way to the airport.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

treatment there is definitely expensive (and quality of the doctors aren't top quality IMO).

The cost for vaccines seems in line with what you pay back home. The doctor fee for administrating the vaccine is only $5 (wife is Khmer so kids qualify as Khmer also - don't know if that makes it cheaper or not).

I'm no doctor, the few I know told me that I should make sure whatever vaccines are given are properly stored - as excessive exposure to heat has the potential (for some drugs) to impact the effectiveness of the vaccine. So for us the choice is solely down to the fact they have a modern pharmacy.

I can't comment on the other hospital mentioned. I have been to the main hospital in town and I would not recommend going there (I've both visited people admitted to the hospital and once went there myself to see a doctor for something minor "just to be sure").
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic