New lease agreement

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

New lease agreement

Post by andy1 »

This is on a new build shop house in rural Cambodia,lease for 4 years,rent seems reasonable per month,but he wants 1year up front as deposit is this normal ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New lease agreement

Post by Kammekor »

andy1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 am This is on a new build shop house in rural Cambodia,lease for 4 years,rent seems reasonable per month,but he wants 1year up front as deposit is this normal ?
No, never experienced that.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

That seems high as an initial payment.

What is the plan for year two, another year up front or on a month to month basis? If it's on a month to month basis this would leave the landlord without any security deposit which most would not permit and it sounds unlikely your landlord would be happy with that arrangement given their demand for a full year in advance. You should make sure there is a clear understanding on this point to avoid a nasty surprise later.

I suppose it all depends on how much money we are talking about; you might consider it is worth a punt.

I heard that you can register the lease at the Sangkat with you and the landlord both present to thumbprint the lease. This might give some protection should the landlord sell the property and keep quite about your status as a paid-in-full tenant. To be clear, this is what I have heard, I do not know for sure so you might want to post another specific request for information on this aspect.

Good luck
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

andy1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 am This is on a new build shop house in rural Cambodia,lease for 4 years,rent seems reasonable per month,but he wants 1year up front as deposit is this normal ?
Dont rush in, let him sweat on the deal as there are heaps of properties available for rent. I bet he will make contact with you before you make contact with him, and he will be offering you a even better deal.

If time is on your side, you are already winning.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i paid 7 months up front. landlord sold to a cop a month later who turfed my ass out, try and fight that.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

One month per calendar year is not unreasonable. But I've always negotiated a few months off longer leases here.

A year up front = alarm bells.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I'd never pay 1 year up front for anything>( except car insurance which you can not pay monthly)
to much can happen
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

one year up front on a new build in rural Cambodia...?

Sounds like the landlord is skint, perhaps after paying for the new build.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I have only ever paid one month deposit, which is like first and last, the norm where I come from too.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I never understood the 1 month per contract year unofficial rule.
As landlords we ask for three months deposit, whatever the contract length.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic