Preparing for Dengue Outbreak 2019

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 2018: Dengue fever figures on the increase

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Dengue cases hit 1,000-mark in 2019
22 February 2019
More than 1,000 cases of dengue fever have been reported so far this year, a number similar to that reported over the same period last year, said Leang Rithea, the dengue control programme manager at the National Centre for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control.

Rithea said most of the cases were reported in the capital, Kandal, Kampong Speu and Siem Reap provinces but that the situation this year is “controllable”.

“If people show symptoms such as high fever, headache, pain behind the eyes, stomach ache or vomiting and, for some cases, red spots appear on the skin or bleeding, please go to the hospital immediately and avoid using medicine [not prescribed by doctors] to lower body temperature,” he said.

Rithea called on people to join in combating dengue fever by getting rid of mosquito larvae’s habitat around their homes and public places and to protect oneself from mosquitoes.

According to a report released by Huy Rekol, head of the National Centre for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control, during the centre’s conference on its 2018 Results and 2019 Goals on Thursday, 23 out of every 1,000 dengue fever-infected patients died nationwide last year. There were a total of 24,684 dengue fever cases.

“The dengue fever density rate [in 2018] declined more than expected – it was lower than an estimate of 263 deaths, or 0.2 per cent, for 2018,” read the report.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -mark-2019
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 2018: Dengue fever figures on the increase

Economic burden of dengue fever

Date:February 28, 2019
Source: PLOS
Summary:
Dengue fever is a major public health concern in many parts of South-East Asia and South America and its prevalence in Africa is thought to be expanding. Researchers have now conducted an analysis of the economic burden of dengue fever in Burkina Faso, Kenya and Cambodia.

FULL STORY
Dengue fever is a major public health concern in many parts of South-East Asia and South America and its prevalence in Africa is thought to be expanding. Researchers have now conducted an analysis of the economic burden of dengue fever in Burkina Faso, Kenya and Cambodia. Their results appear this week in PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases.

Dengue fever is a vector-borne disease transmitted by Aedes mosquitos. While there are studies on the economic burden of dengue in some countries with high prevalence of the disease, countries in Africa had not previously been analyzed, and cost comparisons between countries are often not standardized.

In the new work, as part of the Dengue Vaccine Initiative (DVI) Jung-Seok Lee, and colleagues developed a patient-specific survey questionnaire on the cost of dengue and administered it to patients in six countries in a standardized manner. The survey included multiple interviews to capture both public and private (out-of-pocket costs). Data was previously published on the economic burden of dengue in Vietnam, Thailand, and Colombia; the new paper deals with the cost of the illness in Burkina Faso, Kenya and Cambodia.

414 patients with dengue were identified at the field sites in Burkina Faso, 149 in Kenya, and 254 in Cambodia. The average cost of inpatient care was $26 in Burkina Faso and $134 in Cambodia.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141241.htm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Preparing for Dengue Outbreak 2019

Dengue fever outbreak anticipated
6 March 2019
Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng on Monday appealed to the public to help prevent dengue fever, saying the disease is expected to break out this year.

He warned that people of all ages could contract dengue fever, which is caused by the Aedes aegypti mosquito which spreads the disease by biting one person after another.

Bun Heng said dengue cases recorded in the country early this year showed a marked increase compared to the same period last year.

One of the factors causing dengue fever, he said, is climate change and the presence of the mosquito at homes and in public places.

“According to epidemiological analysis and the estimate of dengue fever conditions made by the World Health Organisation, dengue fever may break out again this year."

The letter said the Aedes aegypti mosquito hatched its eggs in clear waters, it likes to live near people and flies not more than 150m from its habitat.

However, Bun Heng’s letter seems to indicate that the ministry’s National Dengue Control Programme at the National Center for Malaria, Parasitology and Epidemiology has confirmed that mosquitoes hatching their eggs and breeding in old car and motorcycle tires were 11 times higher than in other water containers.

Parents or guardians, he said, must eradicate mosquito larvae from water containers and storage places such as water tanks, flower pots, pans, tables, jars, buckets, and more, while water must be changed regularly and such containers cleaned at least once a week and closed.

He called on the public to cooperate with health officers to fumigate mosquito breeding grounds. Other watery materials that were not used such as car or motorbike tires, crates or bottles, must be buried or destroyed so as not to accumulate water.
https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/de ... n0OzQMYRSs

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Preparing for Dengue Outbreak 2019

Post by Joker Poker »

How about tackling all that plastic rubbish everywhere?

It holds a lot of water and would contribute to the mosquito population in a huge way.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Joker Poker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:12 am How about tackling all that plastic rubbish everywhere?

It holds a lot of water and would contribute to the mosquito population in a huge way.
No, it's climate change. The Aedes Aegypti mosquito is a new species, just arrived last year because of changing weather patterns / climate change. If the government says so, it is the truth, right?

Nothing the Cambodians can do about it themselves, of course.

:facepalm:
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Maybe they should try this out over here,
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 37146.html
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

Reminds me of what happened to me many years ago when I was living in Phuket where Dengue is not allowed.

I was admitted to an International hospital suffering from severe fever etc. Must say the hospital facilities could equal a 5 star hotel. Beautiful individual rooms with lots of facilities.
The next day, after tests, the nurse said I had Dengue and thats why I was on the Dengue ward. Everyone on the ward had Dengue.
Enter the Lady doctor. I told the doctor that this Dengue is a killer, I feel like I'm at deaths door.
The doctor went ballistic shouting that there was no Dengue in Phuket and wanted to know who had told this lie etc. I kept my mouth shut.

Tourism brings in countless amounts of foreign currency, so I suppose there is NO Dengue in Phuket.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

Looks like the FDA finally approved a vaccine but it's highly restricted as apparently there is a chance that " it can increase the risk of severe infection". Nice to see we are making progress though. 👍

https://www.statnews.com/2019/05/01/fda ... trictions/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:13 pm Looks like the FDA finally approved a vaccine but it's highly restricted as apparently there is a chance that " it can increase the risk of severe infection". Nice to see we are making progress though. 👍

I remember reading somewhere, (actually, it might have been here on CEO), that they ran a dengue vaccine trial in the Philippines, but they had some problems with it.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:45 pm
dontbeasourlemon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:13 pm Looks like the FDA finally approved a vaccine but it's highly restricted as apparently there is a chance that " it can increase the risk of severe infection". Nice to see we are making progress though. 👍

I remember reading somewhere, (actually, it might have been here on CEO), that they ran a dengue vaccine trial in the Philippines, but they had some problems with it.
Yes, here are the links to that story. The first link is announcing the start of the vaccine trial. The second link announces the result:

"The Philippine health chief says the government will demand a refund of $69.5 million from vaccine maker Sanofi Pasteur and look at possible legal action after a study showed its dengue vaccine could expose some people to severe illness..."

Part One: newsworthy/historic-dengue-vaccine-programme-t8381.html

Part Two: newsworthy/cambodia-waiting-for-who-den ... t8759.html

:hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic