Sleeping rough riverside

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Sleeping rough riverside

Post by Stiliko »

Anyone know the old gent? Seen him a couple times, never awake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Sleeping rough riverside

Post by King Keil »

Find it very disturbing when people take pictures of homeless and beggars and then post them on the internet.
But maybe this gentleman was just taking a nap.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

He got stuck in my chimney one year, looks like he's lost some weight - good for him because he was well on his way to a heart attack before. Can't recall the name though sorry.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 pm He got stuck in my chimney one year, looks like he's lost some weight - good for him because he was well on his way to a heart attack before. Can't recall the name though sorry.
lol
Looks like he took the brandy with him
The contrasting climate must be what attracts these far-northern types

monstra mihi bona!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

King Keil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 pm Find it very disturbing when people take pictures of homeless and beggars and then post them on the internet.
I agree.

Did you talk to him and ask him about his situation. If you just guess from his appearance, you may be wrong.

I know criminals who get arrested, have their photos posted.

Before posting pictures of people not involved in anything of a criminal nature, I believe you should ask their permission.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Sleeping rough riverside

Post by Stiliko »

explorer wrote:
King Keil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 pm Find it very disturbing when people take pictures of homeless and beggars and then post them on the internet.
I agree.

Did you talk to him and ask him about his situation. If you just guess from his appearance, you may be wrong.

Before posting pictures of people not involved in anything of a criminal nature, I believe you should ask their permission.
Very well. That's your idea. I differ from you. People can't all think alike.
You did hear me say “never awake”, right? Or would you’ve had me rouse him from his stupor and ask if he didn’t mind having his photo taken? It’s called street photography.
The fact is in today’s world, with cameras in every hand (not to mention surveillance), once you go out in public you’re highly liable to getting your picture taken. There’s also a small but not insignificant chance that picture might wind up on the Web. And yet the Internet is vast, no? And turns over like a waterfall. With over a billion pictures posted each day*, what harm can come from one photo with no searchable name attached, posted in some small thread on a local, special interest website?
On the other hand some good might come of it. If someone recognized him perhaps they might come to his aid.
*”In 2014, according to an annual Internet Trends report, people uploaded an average of 1.8 billion digital images every single day. That’s 657 billion photos per year.” - https://www.theatlantic.com/technology ... ld/413389/

she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Stiliko wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 pm
explorer wrote:
I agree.

Very well. That's your idea. I differ from you. People can't all think alike.
You did hear me say “never awake”, right? Or would you’ve had me rouse him from his stupor and ask if he didn’t mind having his photo taken? It’s called street photography.
The fact is in today’s world, with cameras in every hand (not to mention surveillance), once you go out in public you’re highly liable to getting your picture taken. There’s also a small but not insignificant chance that picture might wind up on the Web. And yet the Internet is vast, no? And turns over like a waterfall. With over a billion pictures posted each day*, what harm can come from one photo with no searchable name attached, posted in some small thread on a local, special interest website?
*”In 2014, according to an annual Internet Trends report, people uploaded an average of 1.8 billion digital images every single day. That’s 657 billion photos per year.” - https://www.theatlantic.com/technology ... ld/413389/

This is why I wear sunglasses. 8) Even (or especially) when I'm planning to pass out in public places at night.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:13 pm
This is why I wear sunglasses. 8) Even (or especially) when I'm planning to pass out in public places at night.
I was in Zambia about 15 years ago where it's illegal to sleep on the streets or public places. I was with this friend who was a right mess, he kept conking out all over the place so I bought a pair of cheap shades off a hawker. He attracted less police attention after that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

People normally take naps in their hotel room, not lying outside at night on the street
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:30 am
People normally take naps in their hotel room, not lying outside at night on the street
People normally shit in the wc,not on forums
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic