How do you slice up your Pineapple?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How do you slice up your Pineapple?

Post by Jcml19 »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 am I am getting a bit better at it. It took a few tries.

Great work!!! I have tried cutting it like the pros too but i never can finish in under 5 minutes... Them pros cut and slash under 30 secs hahaha
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 am I am getting a bit better at it. It took a few tries.

Nice Job!

I gave up with my old western way (just keep slicing lengthways until all the hard bits were gone) and adopted the Khmer way and it is definitely better. There is definitely a pattern to the hard bits when your start to cut diagonally, I don't buy from the carts because they have been sitting there for hours and can end up fermenting.

The hard part is buying fresh pineapples. Lucky supermarket will sell old soft yellow rotten shite without any thought to the concept of product quality standards or, heaven forefend, stock write-offs due to age. Greedy gits...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 am
yong wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:36 am It's time to make some money from your skill buddy :beer3:

haha, nah. I see how fast these guys are. Me, its pretty awkward. I do love to play with food though. But if it was a job and I had to slave to cook and serve others, it would suck ballz.
I cannot do it. The Missus does it in no time at all, holding the knife in a way that makes me wince every time and break out the first-aid kit.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

hanno wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am
RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 am
yong wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:36 am It's time to make some money from your skill buddy :beer3:

haha, nah. I see how fast these guys are. Me, its pretty awkward. I do love to play with food though. But if it was a job and I had to slave to cook and serve others, it would suck ballz.
I cannot do it. The Missus does it in no time at all, holding the knife in a way that makes me wince every time and break out the first-aid kit.
I am sure you could do it, you are quite handy.

I know what you mean though, they pull knives towards their hands while I was always trained to push them away in my motions. Then the cleaver chopping while holding things. Don't they ever chop their fingers off?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

I learned my lesson the hard way (drunk slicing cheese for my burger) that i shouldnt slice toward me. I gashed my thumb, wrapped it with a towel, and then passed out on my bed. Woke up with a blood soaked towel and then had to get stitches.

Still have the scar... Then again i dont thin ive learned bc i still do dumb things when drunk :facepalm:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 amI know what you mean though, they pull knives towards their hands while I was always trained to push them away in my motions. Then the cleaver chopping while holding things. Don't they ever chop their fingers off?
Exactly. The Missus has cut herself a couple of time, never seriously, but then I have cut myself too using the knives the traditional (Western) way.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

With a knife
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:34 pm With a knife
Its way cheaper to buy then pre-cut.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic