Old Time Stories

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Old Time Stories

Post by phuketrichard »

why has no one mentioned that those $.50 drafts taste terrible>>
I'll stick with my $1.50 bottles of Beer Lao
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 pm
BITM wrote:Beers were always 50c everywhere (in 2010)
Beers weren't 50 cents everywhere in 2010 or even in 2000.
BITM wrote:They still are 50 cents in 2018 and at the right mum And pops store.

Yeah, so the fact that you can buy a beer for 50c in a few dives and in stores means that beers cost 50c everywhere?

We have some real geniuses on here. :roll:

I'm sure all the fake geniuses on here will agree with you.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

While we are on the subject of bumguns [ and the lack of ] here is my post from last year that I would like to bump
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:10 am Image
Come on everyone. I know you've got a story to tell from your dim dark past, so let it out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ahhh stories.

We were living in my VW van parked out on the beach in Essouari Morocco back in 1972, just having a good time getting fucked up every day, enjoying the food, sunshine and good company
Only thing i had to do was check into the furniture factory everyday to make sure my "tables" were being made correctly and there was no smell. The other thing was the weekly basketball game between the freaks and the locals after numerous chillums and mint teas.
It was always a blast for about 6 weeks.

One day, a Ca guy showed up and said he needed to get to Spain BUT he didn't have his passport. No problem, said I'd take him across as we were on our way to the French Rivera.
So before we arrived at immigration put him under the bed on my van and drive across and onto the ferry.
He was thankful and although he didn't have any $$ to give us, did donate 200 hits of Orange sunshine to our continued trip across southern Europe.

The next 3 months or so.
Wake up, cup of coffee an drop a hit. If i hadn't had my cameras with me, wouldn't have any memory of the trip :-)

The adventure went on an on and on
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

I remember a trip to northern Thailand back in '87. Let me see, the guesthouse was 40B a night, hookers were 50B (90B for an all nighter), a small bottle of Mekong 45B, and a plate of chicken and rice was 20B. I would mind going back. I figure it would cost about 1400B for a week. That's about $43, so if prices haven't changed too much and I don't over do the hookers and whiskey I figure if I just take a $50 note I'll be good for a week. Tips included of course. I'll be back in a week with a full trip report.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I stayed on Samui for 2 months back in 83.
the bungalow, looking out over the sea was 80 baht/night, Sang Som small bottle 50, fired noodles, ( i hate fried rice) 25 & 2 cokes with ice 20
But never saw girls anywhere less than 200/night and I bicycled from Chiang Mai to Samui in' 83.
used to get to town around 3 pm, find a room, nap an head out to a mama san baan an grab a girl for the night, take her to dinner an back to the room where i'd pull out

my thai books :beer3: LOL
got a 1 hour lesson before bed.

Keep in mind the baht was $1=24 baht

all in all a good life
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 pm I stayed on Samui for 2 months back in 83.
the bungalow, looking out over the sea was 80 baht/night, Sang Som small bottle 50, fired noodles, ( i hate fried rice) 25 & 2 cokes with ice 20
But never saw girls anywhere less than 200/night and I bicycled from Chiang Mai to Samui in' 83.
used to get to town around 3 pm, find a room, nap an head out to a mama san baan an grab a girl for the night, take her to dinner an back to the room where i'd pull out

my thai books :beer3: LOL
got a 1 hour lesson before bed.

Keep in mind the baht was $1=24 baht

all in all a good life
I remember a guy telling me he was paying 150B on Koh Samui around that time. I was in Maesai on the northern border and hanging out with young thais so I was treated to local prices. I remember there was a thing they called chaat which meant foreigner price scale. I was there for a month and was lucky to avoid that.

I used to do a lot of long distance cycle touring when I was young. Last tour was went I was 40. Chiang Mai to Samui in' 83 would have been fun.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Maori Mates

I was sitting around all day waiting for some aussie prick to come and look my welder that he was interested in buying. I bought it about the year 1980 and it's been sitting around since 1995 and has not been used once since then.
. Image

and it got me thinking of one time about the year 1986 when a Maori friend of mine , Richie Mahunga walked up my driveway on the farm and asked if he could use my welder . He had borrowed a trailer from friends in the city and as Richie was a part owner in the land next door to me he had loaded up the trailer with firewood , but as he went over a bump leaving the property, the rear spring hanger got ripped out. Now Ritchie had been a Boilermaker/Welder all his life so the job was peanut for him .
He first worked on the NZ Marsden Point Refinery, https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT4pM ... YXIjaoZwQ-

Marsden A Power Station ,https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT4pT ... c5AetZiWo-

Marsden B Power station
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT4pT ... tPF2Ct5rs-

Tasman Pulp and Paper Mill, https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9J.s ... Ln9QSqeF4-

I had worked with Richie for many years and he was one of those guys you would give your last dollar too cause you knew he would give it back.

When Richie had finished the repair job , he said that this was the smoothest small welder he had ever used . He then grabbed two pieces of steel, tacked them together and burnt a full 8 gauge rod jointing those steel together WITH HIS EYES CLOSED,,, saying the secrete is in being able to feel the gap in the steel through the welding rod and listening to the burning rod and the hum of the welder . After knocking off the slag , there lay the perfect weld.

He shook my hand and said thank-you , there was no mention of giving or asking for money and it would have been an insult to even mention the word.

As time catches up with us all, I think Richie may no longer be with us and my welder may be gone but I'm proud to say the memories of a Maori friend called Richie
will stay with me forever.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

And while we are on the subject of Maori friends, you may all have the impression of NZ Maori's being big, rough as guts, drinking and doing the haka to intimidate you , but that is not so.

From the years 1975 to 1979 I worked on a construction site with a slim tall Maori guy called Ben Wetere. He was a no-smoker non-drinker and drove the workers bus to the construction site where he was employed as a crane driver. Now in the early stages of the job the work site was a mess and gumboots would have been the most suitable footwear for all workers there, but I could never stop wondering how Ben's boots were always a shiny black, as the company supplied a standed brown colour boot.

One day I got to asking him about it and the answer was simple,,,,,,, He had spent years in the Army, and he had been disciplined so much he could not get away
from cleaning and polishing his boots every night with black nugget before he went to bed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic