How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:27 pm
kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:38 pm Thanks. Definitely useful for me. This is from a book that doesn't go into the details so much. That's why I mistakenly thought the "ban te" was a yes/no question.
Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:30 pm ឱ្យ ខ្ញុំ ចូល បន្ទប់ ទឹក ទេ
aoy khnhom chaul bantob tuk tei

Can I enter the bathroom? (yes no question)

ឱ្យ ខ្ញុំ ចូល បន្ទប់ ទឹក បាន ទេ
aoy khnhom chaul bantob tuk baan tei

Can I enter the bathroom? (formally asking permission)
Notice finishing the sentence with te or ban te results in it being translated the same in English. You weren't mistaken. Different people just explain it different ways. It could be argued that both are yes or no questions, and both are asking permission.
If [tei] and [baan tei] questions mean the same to you it's fine with me. But to Khmer it doesn't. So when the OP used them in the wrong way and asked about it I explained the difference. You don't have to agree, but....

The fact Google comes up with the same result doesn't tell me anything. I can feed google ten different words all used in a different context and with a slightly different meaning and Google will translate all of them with 'to eat'. Some differences in Cambodian language are very difficult to translate to English (or other languages), because the languages are so different and many do not have an extensive vocabulary like Khmer.

I suggest you ask Cambodians about the exact meaning instead of Google. You could have suggested it yourself.
explorer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:27 am Rather than having another discussion on how to spell Khmer words in English, it is easier to say, ask the locals how to pronounce them.
Last edited by Kammekor on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TOG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:52 pm Absolutely bloody amazing.

Guy asks a straightforward question of how much for a language tutor and he gets 2 good answers and then over 80 posts from the worlds greatest language experts telling each other how to pronounce words, what they really mean and generally how great they are at languages.

Still, at least the first response was a sensible one.
Not really, actually since page 7 it's been about this question from the OP.
kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:27 pm Thanks a lot.
Knyom som chole bontoob tuk baan tei?
Can I enter the room?

Is "easy" since It is close to
Koat chole bontoob baan tei?
Does he enter the room or not?

But the tuk I do not understand. What does it mean?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate. Shopping now. I reply more later.
He confused the use of the Khmer words [tei] and [baan tei] in a question.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

I am just surprised that with all of the expertise on this forum kps only had one direct answer of "how much would it cost". I know that further questions were asked, but links to teachers or schools would have been nice.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

TOG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm I am just surprised that with all of the expertise on this forum kps only had one direct answer of "how much would it cost". I know that further questions were asked, but links to teachers or schools would have been nice.
Thanks for bringing it up. I think I will start a new thread if I ask further questions:
"Khmer language questions for beginners"
And leave this thread for its topic.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

TOG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm I am just surprised that with all of the expertise on this forum kps only had one direct answer of "how much would it cost". I know that further questions were asked, but links to teachers or schools would have been nice.
You can get a Khmer-English exchange partner free on Youtube.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic