Any Thai dishes with goat cheese

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Any Thai dishes with goat cheese

Post by newkidontheblock »

Posting in the Thailand section.

Stopped by one of my favorite Thai places yesterday for some take out food.

While I was waiting a possibly Nigerian couple walks in to order the ‘goat cheese dish’ they had last time.
They were insistent that the restaurant served it last time.

Never heard of goat cheese in any Thai dish before.

So my question - is there a local Thai dish that involves goat cheese?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Any Thai dishes with goat cheese

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

The Hippopotamus Restaurant is a French chain with 170 locations in 9 countries including a half dozen or so in Thailand. Goats cheese is on the menu as are steaks and hamburgers. The food is quite good and is reasonably priced. I have never seen goats cheese in a Thai recipe and unless the Nigerians may have confused tofu with goats cheese, I think they are mistaken. Did you see if the Nigerians left empty-handed?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pretty sure that there are no authentic Thai dishes with goat cheese.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

never seen goat cheese in any thai restaurant, (or for that matter any restaurant in Thailand except Greek restaurants) serving goat cheese in any dish
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:50 am never seen goat cheese in any thai restaurant, (or for that matter any restaurant in Thailand except Greek restaurants) serving goat cheese in any dish
I've seen plenty of goat cheese (the excellent brunches in Bangkok spring to mind) butt certainly not in a Thai restaurant. I think most of the Feta you get in Greek restaurants is made from sheep's milk and thus pretty tasteless.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I buy Feta at villa mart,not cheap but dam good in salads
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cheese of any sort doesn't really seem to be a thing that Thais and their palate go for, always amused when a nice strong blue cheese is on the table in Thai company and their reaction to the smell. Salt and Vinegar crisps and mint choc chip ice cream are sadly another couple of flavour related products that are noticeable by their scarcity in Thai supermarkets.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:59 am Cheese of any sort doesn't really seem to be a thing that Thais and their palate go for, always amused when a nice strong blue cheese is on the table in Thai company and their reaction to the smell. Salt and Vinegar crisps and mint choc chip ice cream are sadly another couple of flavour related products that are noticeable by their scarcity in Thai supermarkets.
Only Poms eat salt & vinegar crisps. Plenty of good ice cream in Thailand though I do not know about supermarkets.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

1. Rarely you see a Thai eat cheese

2. As for goat Thai Muslims will eat it and again rarely you see a non-Muslim Thai having goat.

Anyway what I am saying is cheese and goat is not really a non-Muslim Thai thing.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 pm may have confused tofu with goats cheese
^ I think you nailed it, plenty of Thai dishes that use tofu.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic